Thread: Theoben MFR

Theoben MFR

I have had my MFR in .177 for about six months now so I thought I’d do a review on it.

When I first got it, I chrono’d it as I had heard horror stories about them leaking and being inconsistent. The bottle did leak at first but this can often happen when the bottles are new all that is needed is a short sharp blast when filling it up and it releases the little ball inside the valve, problem solved. When this had been sorted I chrono’d it and got 14 mags (240 shots) worth of shots that averaged around 11.5 foot pounds from 220 bar, it really was very consistent. I still have the string results if anyone is interested.

With that out the way I went about proving the accuracy. To begin with I used H&N FTT (8.6), Barracuda Match (10.6) and Air Arms Field all with varying degrees of success. The groups just didn’t seem tight enough and the long range accuracy wasn’t brilliant so I switched to Accupell (7.9), bingo, these worked well. Even though they are a dirty pellet, I have only cleaned the barrel every 2000 pellets and there doesn’t seem to be any loss in accuracy. In fact the MFR seems to like a well leaded barrel. So if you buy an MFR and can’t seem to get the accuracy you are looking for just persevere for a few hundred pellets until the barrel is leaded in. I won't drone on about one hole groups but I have had a 49 yard rabbit (off a bi-pod) and 40 yard rabbits are common. This gun just gives the shooter so much confidence.

The bolt action is mega smooth and the mag works faultlessly, even though double loads are possible. There have been many complaints about the noise of this gun and if I’m honest it’s not the quietist around but then again it’s not loud by any means, it’s slightly louder than a silenced S410 with air arms silencer, if that makes any sense. It can be silenced further but I deem this to be unnecessary.

The whole gun oozes quality and looks the business and it handles as well as it looks with a lovely balance that’s suited to kneeling shots when out lamping. The trigger is probably the best thing about the gun, Theoben have got this spot on in my opinion because it’s light enough not to pull your shots off target and it’s heavy enough to be safe and predictable. The MFR offers a great package for someone who wants one gun to do the lot.

Airbrush Guest
    Nice one.

Andy.

Very good choice in gun mate.

I use JSB Heavy 4.52 in my two and they love em, thumb nail groups at 50yrds off my Bi-pod in a slight breeze, if you would like to try some drop me a PM with your details and ill post you some.
    They did also like the standard JSB 4.52's too but these were more effected by the slight breeze than the heavy version.

If you click my signature there is a pic of my MFR with an AWT silencer, fit one of these and it makes them mouse fart quiet.

Happy Shooting
    Maverick
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time.

Thumbs up

I might try those JSB's, always been a fan of the heavier pellet, thanks for that mate.

By the way, that AWT looks fantastic, might consider one when the cash allows.

I use the Logun Penertrators in my 410 in 22 with real good results, so i thought bugger it less try them in my Mfr 177 i dont care about over penetration due to i only go for head shots and i'm well impressed with the results
    Hw100 Sk .20 Pulsar Trail XP38
    Hw100 SK .20 Mk4 Leup 2.5-8x38 TMR
    FX Wildcat .177 Hawke Panorama 3-12x40

Airbrush Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gillieman View Post
    I use the Logun Penertrators in my 410 in 22 with real good results, so i thought bugger it less try them in my Mfr 177 i dont care about over penetration due to i only go for head shots and i'm well impressed with the results
    Mines happy with the Penetrators as well.

Andy.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    I fully agree,its a wonderful, superb rifle to shoot.

Wait till you get it fac'd,diffrent kettle of fish then.

Graeme Guest
    I've been using 18g Exterminators in my FAC MFR, they are practically the same as 16g Penetrators, I really rate them.

Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter View Post

Wait till you get it fac'd,diffrent kettle of fish then.
    It's a famous Greek dish - fish in a kettle. Yum

Lionel

Tried the logun penetrators in my MFR, they are accurate really hit the bunnys hard, you can actually hear the difference in impact between them and accupells. However Accupells are still my pellet of choice.