Thread: Classic stalking telescope - Scout Regiment Mk. IIs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kind of embarrassed here.. examined the eyepiece on my friends scope and discovered the reason for lack of focus........

The eyepiece unscrews on a thread before revealing a further short (5") draw!!

and behold again!

Rgds Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    Kind of embarrassed here.. examined the eyepiece on my friends scope and discovered the reason for lack of focus........

The eyepiece unscrews on a thread before revealing a further short (5") draw!!

and behold again!

Rgds Mod
    Presumably you got it working! I haven't seen a drawtube held shut by a screwthread before.

Usually if there's an extra draw, it's a 'pancratic' or 'differential' draw, with lines engraved around it and numbers representing different magnifications you can use. Very, very occasionally, a use for the higher magnifications presents itself; but you lose field of view, eye relief, brightness and steadiness as you increase it, so I reckon such scopes should always be used on the lowest power (extra draw pushed right in) unless there's a particular reason - like a ship's name, for example. Even then, you'd better have some good support or you won't get the benefit.

But if you couldn't bring it to focus without extending the extra draw, it sounds like summat different to me. Can you post pix?

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)