Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 Warning.

Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 Warning.

Had to send my NXS back to the States beacause it kept loosing POI. Some people are aware that you have to have these scopes re-parallaxed in order to use them for FT(they're originally a full bore scope). I have been informed by NF that if you have it re-parallaxed, the warranty in invalidated ....please have a read of thier reply below.

Each glass lens is beaded into the tube body, ocular lens and objective lens using precise equipment.
    Also every cell must be firmly secured in position and not rotate or be out of precise alignment with the other lenses.
    The reason for this is so the image you are looking at is not distorted or bent, giving you the true and correct image of your target through the scope.
    When the objective lens housing is adjusted, the objective lens dose not rotate but moves on its axis via a complex cam set up in the housing.
    If the lens was not fitted in perfect alignment and moved on a crooked axis the image would appear in diferant places (a false image), with the shooter compensating by moving the cross hairs on to the apparent target resulting in a POI change.
    Your scope was experiencing this each time the parallax housing was adjusted, but more to the point movement was occurring after each shot with the recoil of the rifle

So.....If you're thinking of buying one of these, according to NF, they're the only ones that can re-parallax the scope correctly. I've also heard of a few similar problems with re-parallaxed NF's loosing POI.

And before anyone says anything.......I know i should have waited and bought the new S&B ..but in my defence, i didn't know they existed when i got my NF.

UPDATE
    Got my scope back from the states on friday and am happy to report that the parallax is set to max out at 57 yards...perfect and spot with the range finding every time. Because the weather was so bad on sat, we put out a tape measure and then placed some flag lane markers out at 5 yd intervals, ranged each flag at least 10 times and the scope came into the same position on the sidewheel every time. Also, i could see the flags that were 5yds in front and 5 yds behind my taget flag and they were both really blurred. I just have to set the clicks and pray that the scope changes POI correctly with the top turret....fingers crossed.
    Last edited by ChrisC; 12-02-2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    and what is the proposed damage to your wallet as you've invalidated the warranty?
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back

Thumbs up

thanks for that chris,was seriously thinking about buying one

$40 to sort it and the return postage..personally that's not too expensive, But then again the scope is only 6 months old...so..
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    $40 to sort it and the return postage..personally that's not too expensive, But then again the scope is only 6 months old...so..
    Not too bad unless they try to sting you through customs.
    Have they sorted it parallaxed to the range you require or back to the way it was when it left the factory?
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Yep they've locked the parallax to 60yds so i'm hoping it should be sweet as a nut...mind you, after the good round at Ponty i might stick with the GML and the Bushnell for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Yep they've locked the parallax to 60yds so i'm hoping it should be sweet as a nut...mind you, after the good round at Ponty i might stick with the GML and the Bushnell for a while.
    You are very lucky then Chris, I know one guy who had to send his back for a similar problem & although he told them it was used for FT they reset the Parallax to the standard settings & used gallons of Loctite to secure the lenses.

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi,

Well, first of all. Glad this event turn out okay.

But I could also be in this corner and saying :" I told you so !". This re-parallaxing thing I have often warned people about is obviously still going on. Why on earth do people not contact the scope company first before even trying to do the things themself and hear what the company has to say first ? Why is it that people are still thinking they are smarter and better knowning than those companies who are producing these items ? I certainly donīt know it !

I am myself a proud owner of a NightForce NXS model and this model works without a flaw on my airgun. Of course this scope has it limitations at airgun ranges but I know them and can easy live with them. Never and ever will I even be thinking to start to fiddle around with the scope myself to get a better performance out of it. In this case I know better !

You Know nothing

I re-parallaxed a Nikon Buckmaster from 50 to 10yds after being told by Nikon it could not be done. Lots of people on the BBs have done this with bags of guidance if you do a search.

UPDATE....got the NXS back on Friday and put it on the Steyr....got to the club like a kid a christmas......

The scope now won't come below 50yds and won't go over approx 80 yds....what they've done to it , i dont know.

I will keep you posted.

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Sorry to hear of your problems Chris. I have one of these and I am getting good results with it. Since I heard that you were having problems I have thoroughly tested mine at all FT ranges and have not had any poi changes with parallax or zoom.
    Nick Jenkins reset mine and he appears to have done an excellent job.

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
    I re-parallaxed a Nikon Buckmaster from 50 to 10yds after being told by Nikon it could not be done. Lots of people on the BBs have done this with bags of guidance if you do a search.
    Hi,

This is exactly that some people on this Board said about the NightForce NXS models too, that the company couldnīt re-parallax these scopes. But according to ChrisC that is not correct.
    I can only guess on the reason why people do put such a statement up and I think it is because people do not contact the company at all or they are doing it the wrong way. See, contact the bl**dy company first and find out. And can it not be done so easy, well some extra cash will probably do the trick. At least this is my experience.

Besides, I would like if things should be fixed one way or another that this should be done by professionals who really know what they are doing and also can test the product afterward to see if it lives up to the org. specifications. In other words, I see no reason at all why people should try to fix things themself they donīt know anything about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt A10 View Post
    Hi,

This is exactly that some people on this Board said about the NightForce NXS models too, that the company couldnīt re-parallax these scopes. But according to ChrisC that is not correct.
    I can only guess on the reason why people do put such a statement up and I think it is because people do not contact the company at all or they are doing it the wrong way. See, contact the bl**dy company first and find out. And can it not be done so easy, well some extra cash will probably do the trick. At least this is my experience.

Besides, I would like if things should be fixed one way or another that this should be done by professionals who really know what they are doing and also can test the product afterward to see if it lives up to the org. specifications. In other words, I see no reason at all why people should try to fix things themself they donīt know anything about.
    Good luck to you if you've got the time and money to do this every time. Personally, I've either done jobs myself or got enthusiastic amateurs to do them on my behalf that have been better jobs than many so called professionals. Not all professionals are created equal. In the case of Nightforce I suspect that this particular saga has more to do with them not understanding or caring about the demands and expectations of FT than an inability of the scope to be set up for FT. There are a few Nightforce scopes out on the circuit that have been successfully reparallaxed and are working fine. Another case of you pay your money and take your choice.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Good luck to you if you've got the time and money to do this every time. Personally, I've either done jobs myself or got enthusiastic amateurs to do them on my behalf that have been better jobs than many so called professionals. Not all professionals are created equal. In the case of Nightforce I suspect that this particular saga has more to do with them not understanding or caring about the demands and expectations of FT than an inability of the scope to be set up for FT. There are a few Nightforce scopes out on the circuit that have been successfully reparallaxed and are working fine. Another case of you pay your money and take your choice.
    Hi,

Thanks. I pay my money and get things done in the proper way.

Actually, this is the same thing about getting airguns serviced. Well, how many of you do this yourself or get other amateurs to do this for you ? Is it not true that most airgunners send their airguns to either the company that makes them or to other qualified professional people for service ?
    How come then that high quality and high priced scopes should not be serviced by those who make them but should be serviced by amateurs who after alterations can not test the scope to see if it lives up to the org. specifications like waterproofness/fog proofness, variations in point of impact and picture quality through the scope ?
    Well, I donīt get it !

You can say this about many, many other things like new cars for example with all their electronics inside. TV and computers and so on. How many folks out there service these products themself ? And I mean all of them and not just one thing for example a TV but also their car and other more technical stuff at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt A10 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks. I pay my money and get things done in the proper way.

My main point was that some "professionals" are just as capable of doing a poor job. I know that if I or my chosen non-pro will do some jobs with far more care and attention than many a professional. I will never have a spring gun serviced by the manufacturer. I can do a better job myself and others that I know can do an even better job than I. My simple non-regged PCPs are also easy enough to service myself. The only rifle that I will have serviced elsewhere is regulated. I haven't got the facility to test this reg so it get taken to someone that has. As said before you pay your money and take your choice.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!