Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what springer to buy

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Definetly don;t go less than 16" on a '35. The long transfer port makes then more PCP-like in their dependency on a longer barrel to get the power. At 12" it will struggle (and, as mentioned above, be hard to cock).
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for the HW35 info gents, all very useful!

DJP Guest
    If you're not bothered by weight, the Air Arms TX200 or Pro Sport are pretty much unbeatable.

If weight is an issue, then the Weihrauch HW95K is the one to go for.

I've owned several examples of both the TX and the 95K and, though they're completely different, I still can't decide which I prefer!

I'd get a HW97, beautiful guns IMO, other than that, i'd have a pro sport or a tx200

I'v had a TX, found it awesome apart from the weight and I'v used friends' 77k and 95k Weirauchs, all 3 were great spring guns. But personally if I bought another springer I think I would be looking at a second hand older Webley break barrel light weight and venom tuned gun. Just a thought like!

Cheers Craig
    AA S410 Carbine 0.177 Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 AO

Brum Webely Longbow 0.22 Whitetail Expedition 4-12x42 AO

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive only 2 words to say to a BSA owner - 'REKORD TRIGGER' !!!!!!

I have heard that Macarri does a spring suitable for a leather washered HW35.

ATB
    Ian
    i have two words for a non bsa owner. GET ONE.
    dont decry it before you try it.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

gadget Guest

Smile which springer

thanks to all

some great advice out there from all commers, a world of information,
    can not thank all enough for their time taken to all who need your help,
    thanks once again from myself and all the people asking all sorts of questions regarding our sport. keep it up.

cheers

gadget

Okay you dirty sausage sucking kraut lovers, why, when someone mentions purchasing a Weihrauch, does everyone instantly start yelling 'V.Mach!! V-Mach!!'
    I had a go with a 95 last week in the local gun shop, had to go to the dentists after to get the fillings I lost replaced bloody ugly harsh thing that left a bitter aftertaste.
    When I buy a rifle I don't want to have to get it tuned in order to shoot it well, which is why I bought a brand new BSA XL on Friday, smooth shooting, accurate and a full set of fillings after 200 pellets
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

As you can see from my signiture - you may know what I am going to say already but - PROSPORT all the way! It is as sweet as a nut out of the box - go for the walnut stock and it is also beautiful!!

I also reccomend the HW98 - it is a much under rated springer, fantastic balance and great build quality. MY new one is lovely but IMHO could do with a tweak as it has a hell of a kick - would be worth going to SP for a tune up once I have put a few tins through it. but at a thrid less of the price of a pro sport - you get what you pay for.
    "Nearly gone but never forgotten!"

perforater Guest
    xl tactical al the way mate i have 1 and it is a littel jem

Quote Originally Posted by alanl View Post
    > Which springer....
    ..... Another thing to consider is calibre - .22 shoots better in springers than .177 - less felt recoil etc. Bear this in mind if you only try out .22, but want a .177 - the .177 will kick just a little more.
    Alan
    This is correct. Even at 12 ft/lb the energy required to get a .177 to 12ft/lb produces a level of recoil which adversely effects accuracy. However the .22 has a terrible trajectory at 12ft/lb (the .22 calibre is best left to rimfire rifles). As for .25, well, what can you say! It has such a crap trajectory that it is even a minority calibre in rimfire! You might as well throw a brick.

So what do you do if you want a springer but don't want to suffer either a kicking recoil or a terrible trajectory?

.20 is the answer. As air rifle users we should have a large choice of .177 and .20 to choose from with .22 coming in third place. But we don't, we have .177 and .22 to choose from with .20 in third place . Why is this?

There is so much subjective and legacy opinion and vested interest in "nay saying" .20 that it is not moving forward, in terms of guns sold, as fast as it otherwise would. A user or a manufacturer with their investment in .17 and .22, and maybe even pellet making equipment in .177 and .22, might not want to see .20 gain popularity for purely selfish reasons.

I am a bit of a luddite myself where change and technology advancements bring as much on the negative side as the positive. However, that does not apply to .20 which is definitely an advancement well worth having. The trials I have read show its trajectory is nearly as flat as .177, it has better energy retention, wind resistance and and energy transfer on impact.

It appears to be a far superior calibre for sub 12ft/lb springers and FAC pcp, especially where hunting is involved.

.20 is progressing inexorably and at some point it will reach critical mass and the pellet ranges will increase etc. and the existing decline of .22 will accelerate.

I find H&N FTT .20 pellets (about 11.5grn) to be consistently accurate with very few flyers. I think that a 10.5 grain version would be well worth looking at but I can't find one in a standard dome shape.

I haven't got time to find links to all the information which made me decide to go with progress and get a .20 springer instead of going down the illogical .22 route, but if you check the Whiscombe web site there are some very interesting accuracy test results, and you could use Chairgun to make your own trajectory comparisons.

Theoben and Falcon do a range of .20 but I think that Falcon only do pcp. Weihrauch might do .20 but I am not sure whether they do walnut stocks (which are well worth paying the extra for).

Good luck with whatever you buy.
    HW40PCA .177 - Mk3S .177 - HW97K .20 - SLR98 .20

Talking Springer's

:d Got A Hw97 K .177, Accurate And Nice To Shoot, Would Recommend It!!!:d

the doner Guest

Thumbs up

My advise to you if you are after a springer, The webley xocet is the best choise they offer thourghbred quality at an affordable price, there is also the xocet xs with the fitted silcencer for about 10 quid more.