Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JSR 3-9X40 Milldot IR PX Scope- My Review

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    I believe a new range of £49.99 scopes may be hitting the market soon.

C'mon Gary, I'm all over-excited
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Excellent review minibbb , you answered all my questions, you must be physic . Had seen the scope in the mags and thought for that price I can't expect much. But will be ordering one tomorrow now. Thanks for the helpful information .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

I'm expecting one in the post tomorrow, so I'll add my tuppence worth shortly.

Psychic

My scope arrived today......I shan't fit it till later in the week. I'm too busy at the moment, I'd rather wait til I've got the time too enjoy setting it up rather than just rushing it.......However, on first impressions I'm quietly impressed for a £50 scope, I'm sure if it had a brand name on it there would be at least a 50% price hike.
    Dunno what the space senario design on the packaging is all about!, but lots of info and intructions, mill dot conversion chart as well as an alan key and battery. The graduated reticle looks good in its own right, I would be happy with that, I've not tried the IR function yet.
    Mind you the millet buck gold I bought off 3b4y was a cracking piece of kit with lovely optics, until it dis-intergrated after 30 shots from a 6 ft/lb rifle!

Im flattered you liked the review, I figured it may be helpful to people on the lookout for a decent cheap scope

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Mine arrived today as Minibbb stated well boxed and wrapped and I've got to say I'm well chuffed for the price I gotta lot of scope for a little money . The only tiny gripe is the distance between the mill dots, would be ideal for .22 but well spaced for .177 also stated by Minibbb. Had it zeroed within minutes and took it out on board my S410 last light, am not a big fan of illuminated reticles and found the lowest setting still very bright but the quality for the money still leaves a smile on your face. JSR reckon this is one of their better sellers and I can understand why. A LOT OF SCOPE FOR YOUR MONEY . How the Chinese do it for the money is beyond me. I only managed two Magpies tonight so not an amazing first foray but as Minibbs also stated clear optics and at the lowest mag fairly good in lowlight.

ALL IN ALL HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THANKS AGAIN TO MINIBBB FOR A CRACKING REVIEW .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Quote Originally Posted by minibbb View Post
    I have just purchased this scope from JS Ramsbottom. Its a new model out to compliment the other bargain scopes in their range. It cost me £49.95 posted.

First Impressions
    Well, the scope arrived well protected in decent padded brown cardboard package. I opened the package to be pleasantly surprised at the presentation of the scope's box. I was expecting a plain brown affair but instead got a colourful JSR branded box mysteriously showing pictures of satellites and outer space! On opening the box I found a well wrapped scope complete with flip up covers, screw on sun shade, allen key, cleaning cloth,battery for the illumnated reticule, a leaflet on milldot use and an instruction leaflet printed on decent quality paper in full and accurate English also showing pictures/photographs.Im aware that they are made in China (as are virtually all other scopes). On unwrapping the scope I found it be well finished in matt black on a one piece construction with finger adustable BDC turrets and front parallax adjustment-more to follow on these later...

Setting the Scope Up
    Flip up covers are not my thing so I took them off, nothing personal against these ones. I prefer as little "clutter" on the scope as possible. I mounted the scope on my Air Arms S410K use Simmons Pro 4 Medium Mounts. It cleared the Magazine by approximately 1mm which is fine. Beware some rifles will require higher mounts depending on the magazine size. I loved the sun shade so I fitted it straight away! A word of warning though, don't screw the sunshade up too tight as it can be very hard to undo again!
    Scope Mounted on my rifle

The scope has BDC finger adjustable turrets with a special feature to "lock" them. This is done with an allen key. You have to loosen this allen key bolt on each turret before you can adjust them. I chose not to re-tighten them. The turrets are quite positive to use and I can't imagine them moving easily, its a nice feature to have if you often have to transport the rifle. I wouldnt say the turrets are as smooth as some higher end scopes, but I found them fine to use. The advert from JSR boasted that the scope can be parallax adjusted down to 5 yards and its true! This is certainly aimed at the air rifle market and I found the parallax to be smooth and effective. The scope is a 3-9 zoom and I found the zoom to be smooth and easy to use. The zoom reminded me of the AGS scopes, wouldn't be surprised if they are made in the same factory!
    On inserting the battery into the side mounted Illuminated reticule dial I was able to turn the IR on. You can choose from red or green with 5 brightness settings on each. I liked both colours and found level 1 or 2 to be sufficient. The reticule lit up well with a small amount of the light reflected in the inside body of the scope. I have yet to use an IR scope that doesnt do this. The reticule has a fine cross hair with 6 milldots on each axis. I found the milldots to be spaced more sensibly than the AGS scopes but not quite as well as the Hawke scopes. The scope is bright and clear to look through, and I would say the sight picture is of a better quality that my Hawke Varmint 3-13x44
    It was necessary to use one piece of film negative in the rear scope mount to zero the scope effectively, once this was done it was spot on! This is common on many scope/rifle combos so nothing to worry about. I found the combo to be a real pleasure to use

In Conclusion
    In conclusion I highly recommened this scope as a hunting/general purpose scope. It is good quality and a pleasure to use, not forgetting its excellent looks.For £50 they take some beating. I am hoping JSR launch more in this range. Here are some more pics;
    Scope mounted on rifle
    Scope and Scope Box
    The Target!!!!!
    Great review.
    After a couple of months how are you getting on with the scope ?
    I am tempted to purchase one.
    Cheers Tom.

Thumbs up

I'm very pleased with this scope, it does what it says on the tin! Great value for an unbranded scope with all the bells and whistles. I find it clear, well made, holds zero in a spring gun (I had to pack the rear mount a bit but that was expected). I like the turret design.......target turrets but with the ability to lock them down so they don't get knocked out of adjustment during transit.
    I recommend this scope, branded it could easily be sold for alot more.

Quote Originally Posted by tomgun View Post
    Great review.
    After a couple of months how are you getting on with the scope ?
    I am tempted to purchase one.
    Cheers Tom.
    Its fine mate, just as good as when I bought it In this months Airgunner on the news page this scope appears without the IR and badged up as a Crosman-Wonder how much that will be????

Buying an unbranded scope doesn't worry me in the slightest, most makes badge up unbranded ones as their own anyway!

That was a quality review. Just read it now.

Can you give me a link to where you got it from m8 cause im tempted into buy it now

Quote Originally Posted by Finni View Post
    That was a quality review. Just read it now.

Can you give me a link to where you got it from m8 cause im tempted into buy it now
    The scope comes from the sponsor of Airgunbbs-JS Ramsbottom (see link at top of page). Probably best to phone him

Thanks All

Mind made up I'm getting one.

Cheers Tom.