Thread: JSR 3-9X40 Milldot IR PX Scope- My Review

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JSR 3-9X40 Milldot IR PX Scope- My Review

I have just purchased this scope from JS Ramsbottom. Its a new model out to compliment the other bargain scopes in their range. It cost me £49.95 posted.

First Impressions
    Well, the scope arrived well protected in decent padded brown cardboard package. I opened the package to be pleasantly surprised at the presentation of the scope's box. I was expecting a plain brown affair but instead got a colourful JSR branded box mysteriously showing pictures of satellites and outer space! On opening the box I found a well wrapped scope complete with flip up covers, screw on sun shade, allen key, cleaning cloth,battery for the illumnated reticule, a leaflet on milldot use and an instruction leaflet printed on decent quality paper in full and accurate English also showing pictures/photographs.Im aware that they are made in China (as are virtually all other scopes). On unwrapping the scope I found it be well finished in matt black on a one piece construction with finger adustable BDC turrets and front parallax adjustment-more to follow on these later...

Setting the Scope Up
    Flip up covers are not my thing so I took them off, nothing personal against these ones. I prefer as little "clutter" on the scope as possible. I mounted the scope on my Air Arms S410K use Simmons Pro 4 Medium Mounts. It cleared the Magazine by approximately 1mm which is fine. Beware some rifles will require higher mounts depending on the magazine size. I loved the sun shade so I fitted it straight away! A word of warning though, don't screw the sunshade up too tight as it can be very hard to undo again!
    Scope Mounted on my rifle

The scope has BDC finger adjustable turrets with a special feature to "lock" them. This is done with an allen key. You have to loosen this allen key bolt on each turret before you can adjust them. I chose not to re-tighten them. The turrets are quite positive to use and I can't imagine them moving easily, its a nice feature to have if you often have to transport the rifle. I wouldnt say the turrets are as smooth as some higher end scopes, but I found them fine to use. The advert from JSR boasted that the scope can be parallax adjusted down to 5 yards and its true! This is certainly aimed at the air rifle market and I found the parallax to be smooth and effective. The scope is a 3-9 zoom and I found the zoom to be smooth and easy to use. The zoom reminded me of the AGS scopes, wouldn't be surprised if they are made in the same factory!
    On inserting the battery into the side mounted Illuminated reticule dial I was able to turn the IR on. You can choose from red or green with 5 brightness settings on each. I liked both colours and found level 1 or 2 to be sufficient. The reticule lit up well with a small amount of the light reflected in the inside body of the scope. I have yet to use an IR scope that doesnt do this. The reticule has a fine cross hair with 6 milldots on each axis. I found the milldots to be spaced more sensibly than the AGS scopes but not quite as well as the Hawke scopes. The scope is bright and clear to look through, and I would say the sight picture is of a better quality that my Hawke Varmint 3-13x44
    It was necessary to use one piece of film negative in the rear scope mount to zero the scope effectively, once this was done it was spot on! This is common on many scope/rifle combos so nothing to worry about. I found the combo to be a real pleasure to use

In Conclusion
    In conclusion I highly recommened this scope as a hunting/general purpose scope. It is good quality and a pleasure to use, not forgetting its excellent looks.For £50 they take some beating. I am hoping JSR launch more in this range. Here are some more pics;
    Scope mounted on rifle
    Scope and Scope Box
    The Target!!!!!
    Last edited by minibbb; 16-11-2006 at 05:14 PM.