Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JSR 3-9X40 Milldot IR PX Scope- My Review

JSR 3-9X40 Milldot IR PX Scope- My Review

I have just purchased this scope from JS Ramsbottom. Its a new model out to compliment the other bargain scopes in their range. It cost me £49.95 posted.

First Impressions
    Well, the scope arrived well protected in decent padded brown cardboard package. I opened the package to be pleasantly surprised at the presentation of the scope's box. I was expecting a plain brown affair but instead got a colourful JSR branded box mysteriously showing pictures of satellites and outer space! On opening the box I found a well wrapped scope complete with flip up covers, screw on sun shade, allen key, cleaning cloth,battery for the illumnated reticule, a leaflet on milldot use and an instruction leaflet printed on decent quality paper in full and accurate English also showing pictures/photographs.Im aware that they are made in China (as are virtually all other scopes). On unwrapping the scope I found it be well finished in matt black on a one piece construction with finger adustable BDC turrets and front parallax adjustment-more to follow on these later...

Setting the Scope Up
    Flip up covers are not my thing so I took them off, nothing personal against these ones. I prefer as little "clutter" on the scope as possible. I mounted the scope on my Air Arms S410K use Simmons Pro 4 Medium Mounts. It cleared the Magazine by approximately 1mm which is fine. Beware some rifles will require higher mounts depending on the magazine size. I loved the sun shade so I fitted it straight away! A word of warning though, don't screw the sunshade up too tight as it can be very hard to undo again!
    Scope Mounted on my rifle

The scope has BDC finger adjustable turrets with a special feature to "lock" them. This is done with an allen key. You have to loosen this allen key bolt on each turret before you can adjust them. I chose not to re-tighten them. The turrets are quite positive to use and I can't imagine them moving easily, its a nice feature to have if you often have to transport the rifle. I wouldnt say the turrets are as smooth as some higher end scopes, but I found them fine to use. The advert from JSR boasted that the scope can be parallax adjusted down to 5 yards and its true! This is certainly aimed at the air rifle market and I found the parallax to be smooth and effective. The scope is a 3-9 zoom and I found the zoom to be smooth and easy to use. The zoom reminded me of the AGS scopes, wouldn't be surprised if they are made in the same factory!
    On inserting the battery into the side mounted Illuminated reticule dial I was able to turn the IR on. You can choose from red or green with 5 brightness settings on each. I liked both colours and found level 1 or 2 to be sufficient. The reticule lit up well with a small amount of the light reflected in the inside body of the scope. I have yet to use an IR scope that doesnt do this. The reticule has a fine cross hair with 6 milldots on each axis. I found the milldots to be spaced more sensibly than the AGS scopes but not quite as well as the Hawke scopes. The scope is bright and clear to look through, and I would say the sight picture is of a better quality that my Hawke Varmint 3-13x44
    It was necessary to use one piece of film negative in the rear scope mount to zero the scope effectively, once this was done it was spot on! This is common on many scope/rifle combos so nothing to worry about. I found the combo to be a real pleasure to use

In Conclusion
    In conclusion I highly recommened this scope as a hunting/general purpose scope. It is good quality and a pleasure to use, not forgetting its excellent looks.For £50 they take some beating. I am hoping JSR launch more in this range. Here are some more pics;
    Scope mounted on rifle
    Scope and Scope Box
    The Target!!!!!
    Last edited by minibbb; 16-11-2006 at 05:14 PM.

Review of review

Hey Minibbb

Cracking review mate, I must confess I'm tempted! Did I use it on Sunday!?
    .177" Harrier X, Hydrographically dipped with custom FT Stock. .22" S410k BTAS with walnut thumbhole stock. .223 Tikka T3 Stainless Lite. CZ Varmint 17hmr. Browning and Baikal O/U 12g.

Hi Mark
    Yep the scope you used on my S410 was this one, does the job nicely!

Hi Minibbb,

Excellent review!!! I've always found JSR scopes and mounts very good value for money. The picture of the review scope looks a lot like my Rhino, which is also very good , but the Rhino cost me £75 - so not such a bargain

Think they are probably made in the same factory! There is no real quality difference between the JSR and my Hawke. Will certainly be keeping this one!

Gary C Guest
    I believe a new range of £49.99 scopes may be hitting the market soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    I believe a new range of £49.99 scopes may be hitting the market soon.
    any details for us???

minibbb what the overall lenth of the scope

Just bought one. Now mounted on my Harrier and it's a very good optic, with a good depth of field. Only downside is I find the IR too bright for dusk shooting - this is a common problem, even on expensive IR scopes.

Another excellent value scope from JSR.

Glad your pleased with it How are you going decide which rifle your going to use for HFT this week???

Still waiting for S10 mags to come back from BSA, so may give the Harrier a spin, if the weather improves enough for me to get a few more shots through it. See U Sunday.

just bought the 3-9x50 version of this top marks its a great bit of kit very impressed for the money

Falconer Guest

Red face

It was necessary to use one piece of film negative in the rear scope mount to zero the scope effectively, once this was done it was spot on! This is common on many scope/rifle combos so nothing to worry about. I found the combo to be a real pleasure to use

Hi fantastically helpfull review, can you explain more about the film negative and how you used this, do you think its necassary on this combo with all AAS410's as i ahve the same model.

Any cahnce of an explanation on parallax please

Falconer

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post

Hi fantastically helpfull review, can you explain more about the film negative and how you used this, do you think its necassary on this combo with all AAS410's as i ahve the same model.

Any chance of an explanation on parallax please

Falconer
    Hi Mate
    I used a single pice of film negative to line the bottom of the rear scope mount. The theory behind it is explained very well in this thread http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...scope+shimming Try and zero the scope as normal first, if you run out of adjustment you can then think about shimming. This is the only time I have had to do this but its quite common
    Last edited by minibbb; 08-02-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post

Any cahnce of an explanation on parallax please

Falconer
    Parallax (or parallax error) occurs when the image in a scope is brought to focus on a plane that does not coincide with the focal plane where the reticle of the scope exists. This is viewed as an out of focus image with crisp sharp cross hairs superimposed on it. The upshot of this is that if your eye is not perfectly centered on the optical axis of the scope then your POI will not coincide with where your cross hairs are (unless you are very lucky and had your eye in exactly the same place when you zeroed the scope). In order to rectify this, scope manufacturers have fitted systems that allow the user to bring the image viewed into sharp focus on the same focal plane as the reticle, and this eliminates the problem caused by an off center eye.

HTH (but it probably won't)