Thread: Bsf - Bavarian Air-rifles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Bsf - Bavarian Air-rifles

In the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s only ONE air-rifle could reliably get to the legal limit in the UK (with the exception of the Feinwerkbau Sport), particularly in .177 calibre.

Say what you like, the HW35, BSA Airsporter and Webley Mk III, and yes, even the Relum Tornado, were all actually chugging out 10.5 ft/lbs if you were lucky. Of course the standard lube in those days was Three-In-One which would give the odd 50 ft/lb deisel and a ruined spring, but as most people didnt bother lubing it was 10 ft lbs until your spring failed.

The top power gun was the BSF made by Bavaria Sport Fabrik of Bavaria, which was in West Germany. Their range of rifles had ferocious mainsprings under a massive amount of preload, screwed tightly into well engineered break-barrels - the BSF B55, the S60, the S70 and latterly the S80, as well as a super-tough tap-loading underlever called the S54. They came in a variety of stocks and the break barrels only really differed by barrel length.

Now, they were also marketed in the US under the Wischo brand name and were so popular that Maccari still offers a replacement stock off the shelf for the B55 even though they ceased production at least 20 years ago.

Every copy of Airgun World from the 1970s to the mid 1980s mentions them, they are on sale from the main mail-order places and gunshops.

They are built like T-34 tanks from solid steel.

I have one B55. Buddyboy has one B55 deluxe (for sale at the moment). I.J. has several, including the impossible 'S65'. Another BBS member has several. So, that is four owners among the thousands of BBS members. Where are all the others? Who else owns a BSF? They must have sold thousands and they are tough guns so where are they? Was there a BSF virus that wiped them all out?

I have asked this before but didn't get a satisfying answer so I am asking again. Please, no-one say that the HW85 was a BSF rebadged after HW bought the company because it ain't. Its an HW95 with a fat scope ramp screwed to it.

Own up, BSF owners!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 24-11-2006 at 12:16 AM.