Thread: Pre war bsa improved model repeater

Pre war bsa improved model repeater

Interesting air rifle - would love a good plink with this !

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sell...-magazine/view
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I like it
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Interesting air rifle - would love a good plink with this !

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sell...-magazine/view
    I also just saw this yesterday, Morgan. It is interesting. A 1919 'L' series, it appears from the trigger block, although the markings on the cylinder suggest it might be a bitsa.

Another one of David Swan's rifles (hammer £130) being sold by Jason Millar. He has made an absolute killing out of selling on the rifles he bought in that auction!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I

Another one of David Swan's rifles (hammer £130) being sold by Jason Millar. He has made an absolute killing out of selling on the rifles he bought in that auction!
    I know it sticks in the craw when you see a margin that wide, but selling stuff at a profit is how business works. I worked in a gunshop for a short while and seeing the profit margin on 2nd hand guns was an eye opener However, seeing the "squeeky" margins on new guns and ammo was equally eye opening, but for the opposite reason.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

A bag of sand?,oh well there's no harm in optimism.

I particularly like that Stick Magazine and I've always wondered why that type (of thing ) isn't used more often on repeaters.

A variation on the theme (but usually in plastic) is widely used for .22 rf Biathlon Rifles ...

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I also just saw this yesterday, Morgan. It is interesting. A 1919 'L' series, it appears from the trigger block, although the markings on the cylinder suggest it might be a bitsa.

Ha, I see what you mean, though I suppose nobody is forced to buy them !
    I think he perhaps sells stuff on that auction site too as I recognize the style of adverts. But if you scroll down his stuff the little Haenal Junior underlever looks alright for £125, unless the photo's are hiding something.

Has it ever been established whether this is a genuine BSA prototype, was fabricated by a BSA engineer in house, or was privately fabricated by a skilled engineer ?
    Does the magazine advance each time the lever is cocked, or does it require a thumb push ?
    I think it was an interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Has it ever been established whether this is a genuine BSA prototype, was fabricated by a BSA engineer in house, or was privately fabricated by a skilled engineer ?
    Does the magazine advance each time the lever is cocked, or does it require a thumb push ?
    I think it was an interesting idea.
    Hi I reckon that's almost certainly a home grown conversion, but done by a clever chap non the less. I wonder if it does index ? Can't see how it could though on studying the pics.
    Last edited by silva; 27-12-2016 at 03:01 PM.

I'd be very wary of buying anything from Jason Millar after a previous experience. As far as I know, he's not an RFD but a scrap dealer with a sideline in airguns.

John

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Hi I reckon that's almost certainly a home grown conversion, but done by a clever chap non the less. I wonder if it does index ? Can't see how it could though on studying the pics.
    Looking at it I would say at a guess that the tap has been either fixed in position or removed and the void filled, Then a square hole put through. The reloading operation is a block of steel which has been drilled and has indents above each drilling which are located by a radius ended plunger which is in turn loaded by a puny looking (possibly not contemporary as the rest looks so solid) spring held in place by a commercial slotted dome head drilled and tapped through the cylinder into the threaded area of the barrel forging underneath.

The top bit holding the plunger has been turned up and screwed onto the loading tap area which has been milled flat.

So reloading is by pushing the block against the resistance of the spring until it clicks into position. Wish there was a photo from the right to confirm this, but I can't see any other option.

It's a fairly basic bit of engineering skill wise (the hardest part is always the idea!) which I would say has been done by someone in engineering, or with the skill and access to a lathe / mill. Obviously has some age to it though.

I think in Hillers he refers to these home improved guns (guilty myself!) as items which either do well or bomb at auction depending on the view of the potential new owner, ie "original gun ruined" or "that's unique".

Original BSA? I would say not due to the cylinder extension and butt plate, both of which are very basic, but the repeating part looks pretty well done apart from the awefull spring which looks like an afterthought in every way and which a BSA factory design would surely have incorporated into the attachment atop the breech.

I suppose we will never know, but I would have thought a patent / drawings would be out there (which I can't find at least) as exist with other BSA designs which sadly never made it but which have been re-created by engineers;

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...ffries+airguns

I wonder where the inspiration came from for the sliding magazine...My first thought was Webley starting pistol!

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 31-12-2016 at 07:22 AM.