Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bsf - Bavarian Air-rifles

BSFs

Afternoon all,

well- I will "come out" and admit to owning three. A '55 deluxe, a'54 (not entirely sure which model though- very basic walnut stock) and an '80.

How many more are out there?

I do know that kevin.ronnie has a few as he was my "main man" when looking around for one and I think he had a '54 for sale recently. Nice chap to deal with by the way.

Dave

Strange. Most people on here (who admit to) owning a BSF own 2, 3 or 4+ models of this make.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

DM80 Guest
    BSF's horrid looking things

dave.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post

dave.

The B55 is the most archetypal-looking break-barrel in existence. It's the break-barrel's break-barrel - if you could only put one break-barrel springer in an illustrated encyclopedia, it or the S70 would be the one to place.

The S54 is, granted, a minger and a moose. And of course the best looking break-barrel is the BSA Mercury-S, but it is not really representative with that swoopy back-block.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post

dave.
    You didn't say that when you was flogging one!

HSING-EE - I think you must include the FWB Sport when you list the best looking break barrel springer.

ATB
    Ian

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    kevin.ronnie is a great fan of BSF rifles but thinks the stock on the 'delux' B55 makes it look like a Diana G80 and prefers the older smaller slimmer one.

The stock on the BSF S80 had an unusual deep section in front of the trigger guard, functionally like the one on the TX200SR but very odd-looking.

So you get cute ones and ugly ones. The Tyrolean S54 feels good to use but is a bit ungainly.

Excellent work. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The B55 is the most archetypal-looking break-barrel in existence. It's the break-barrel's break-barrel - if you could only put one break-barrel springer in an illustrated encyclopedia, it or the S70 would be the one to place.
    Never thought about that but, on reflection, I think you're right.

Your comments on the recoil of the 55 ring a bell - I remember that mine was quite 'lively', which is probably why I sold it but kept the sweeter-shooting if lower power HW50. I wonder how the 55 might respond to a synthetic piston head and less spring because, if you could achieve reasonable power (say, close to 11fpe) and tame the discharge movement, it would be a lovely little rifle to shoot.

BSF 54 (Pics)

Hi all, Yes I have one BSF 54 , Bought it from a gunshop (A number of years ago! ) It came with 2 more guns, The owner said he had never seen one before, As regards "Power" in the 60-70,s the top guns were all pump ups, Sheridan, Crossman, Setra, And SHARP !, Some other high powered springers were around too, I still have one, Original 35 S, big gun, (This one had the Ether Injection unit fitted) Ala, Barracuda, ( No it wasn,t on when I got it) I have shot the break barrel BSF,s but they are too light & Jumpy ( Just my opinion) The 3 band pressing on the BSF is identical to my Haenals, ? 302-303, Cheers PS I have an Airsporter Stutzen coming ! Tap loader V, Nice, cheers again
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=BTDT;1471788]Excellent work. Thanks for that.

Jim, coming from you that is a real compliment thanks.

Just to continue the debate and this excellent thread, I think that the BSF also started the movement towards using .177 for vermin control.I started using this calibre in late 1977 after the early articles in AGW by Eddie Barber buying a BSF B55 std and had MAG fit it with an 'Export' spring which had an unusual purple hue to the tempering. I was using a .22 BSA Airsporter before that which was the best model available so I was told . Bear in mind that airguns were not actively promoted much by gunsmiths and their attitude was that you were looked down upon ( and this did not change for decades, and is still to be found today in certain shops ) many sports shops sold airguns but only the UK models for example a BSA Mercury was about £30 when an Original 50 or HW35 was double that.

This was when the Webley MK3 could still be found in the shops ( although production finished in 1975 , the Diana G77 and 79 and BSA Airsporter and Mercury were the best of British.

Few shops had the German HW, Originals, East German Haenals or BSF's.

Anyway, back to the B55, It had the power in .177 that the BSA 's, Dianas and Webleys of the time did not .

Beeman went on to enthusiastically support and promote .177 particularly with the FWB Sport and subsequently HW80 /R1 (although he later changed to .20) with his Airgun catalogues

Pre AGW, I used to read Guns Review and the author of 'airgun scene' Dennis Commins also promoted .177 (though he was a Target shooter )and DR Hughes had started to import and promote through the magazines small ads column BSF, HW and Original and offered new lubricants and decent German ammo like H&N to get the best out of these guns.

Perhaps someone at BSF pre-empted your thoughts BTDT. The (infamous) model 65 I have has the power restriction symbol 'F in a pentagon' on the side so it was originally produced as a low powered (7j) version. During its lifetime someone has fitted a stronger spring to raise the power lovel.

The BSF 55/60/70 are quite lively to shoot and require a loose hold to gain the best from them, similar in style to the standard 'slow action' of the 'Sport. Interesting enough the fitting of a shorter, stronger (?) Macarri spring to a 'Sport quicked the action and altered the best holding stance.

ATB
    Ian

If I'm not mistaken, there is a BSF sitting on the second hand rack in Dowlings. I don't know what model it was, but it seemed in very good nick.

Lionel

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Excellent work. Thanks for that.

Never thought about that but, on reflection, I think you're right.

Your comments on the recoil of the 55 ring a bell - I remember that mine was quite 'lively', which is probably why I sold it but kept the sweeter-shooting if lower power HW50. I wonder how the 55 might respond to a synthetic piston head and less spring because, if you could achieve reasonable power (say, close to 11fpe) and tame the discharge movement, it would be a lovely little rifle to shoot.
    Evening Jim,
    Thats another future project of mine- so I will keep you posted!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Evening Jim,
    Thats another future project of mine- so I will keep you posted!

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I think a few people will be interested if a synthetic or PTFE head, a less stressed mainspring and a bit of TLC make the BSF 55 sweeter to shoot.

Nice to know someone is carrying on the good work.

Jim

draftsmann Guest
    Yep, I have a '54 in my collection. I agree that this model is a real munter.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Hi Dave,

I think a few people will be interested if a synthetic or PTFE head, a less stressed mainspring and a bit of TLC make the BSF 55 sweeter to shoot.

Nice to know someone is carrying on the good work.

Jim
    The Venom Bavaria has synthetic piston and breech seal installed, I have never shot one to be able to comment on improved characteristics, I would be interested in a PTFE conversion it was .22 only though.

Jim

Whatever happened to 'David Jenkins' from WBPS who did conversions on the Anschutz 335 (and Mauradermax) are WBPS still trading ? I have not seen any mention of them for years.