Thread: .177 pellets 4.51 4.52 4.53

Red face .177 pellets 4.51 4.52 4.53

Just found a source of JSB at a decent price (they've been hard to get recently). as a noobie I hadn't realised that they came in a range of head sizes (just took what my gunsmith sold me!).

Do I have to shoot a tin of each to find out which suits my gun and my wife's?
    (Daystate X2 prestige and AA S200)

The tins don't seem to have the head size on and look identical, so I don't know what I was using (pretty sucessfully).

Confuzzed!

bennyblanco Guest
    there will be a red sticker underneath with a long no.

from memory S0 4.5302? which would be 4.53

HTH ben

Choosing which one to use is a bit of a minefield. You can really only decide which ones to use by shooting some groups. Even then you may find that results are not consistant

Here are some 10 shot groups I did with Daystate Select 4.51,2 & 3. Daystate Mk3 RT 45 Yds. It was outside, semi rested so all sorts of other varibles. The black dots are 1/2 inch.

However you can see that the 4.52's look best with the 1's & 3's being more scattered. Also the groups rise slightly because of the slightly increased fps. I do not know why the 4.51's are off to the left.

Rich
    Last edited by RichBB; 25-11-2006 at 12:18 PM.

The head size is clearly marked on the bottom of the tin. Make sure the lid is taped on before turning it upside-down. (don't ask..! )
    4.52s seem to be the most accurate for most rifles, but no two barrels are the same. If theres a club near you, pop in, and you may be able to scrounge a few of the others.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Thanks for that, there isn't a sticker, so I'll ask the gunsmith at the club tomorrow which the last tins were.

The 4.52s are still out of stock from the supplier I've discovered, so obviously, they'll be the ones I need!

I guess this needs a bit of learning and a lot of testing.

Thanks again.