Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what springer to buy

gadget Guest

Smile what springer to buy

hi to all

any advice on which springer to buy not to fussed about price, want quality,just need some info first so can do some reading. look forward to hearing from the experts.

cheers

gadget

I suggest you visit your local airgun club and have a try with a few and ask questions. Nearly all the club members I have spoken to are only to keen to pass on their personal experiences. What suits one person may not suit you. It also depends what you want the rifle for.

Hope that helps.
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Hi Gadget

It depends what you're looking for really... Is weight/size an issue? Do you prefer break barrel or underlever?

If it's quality straight from the box you want then you'd be hard pushed to beat the TX200/ProSport from Air Arms. I've had a couple and couldn't fault them really.
    I've just bought a HW97K which is also superb, though I've sent mine to SFS as their tuned version shoots smoother!

Really it's best to go to a good gunshop or a club (as I'm sure everyone else on here will advise!) and try a few out before you spend any money.Try not to do the mail order thing with a gun you've never handled, it gets expensive when you find it's not what you really wanted!

ATB
    Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Depends on your budget really, my cash is fairly limited and as I already run my Falcon but want a springer, I have just this moment finished placing my order with BAR for a BSA Lightning XL in .177 which are super little rifles. The rifle alone costs app £200ish.

Woohoo, can't wait until tomorrow
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

I have worked my way through most modern springers and the TX200HC was the most impressive for "quality". All springers can be improved through tuning but you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear!

Best advice already given..find a club and try as many as possible.

Mike95

How do:
    I am no expert. Ive just recently ordered a new BSA Comet. (A change in direction from the uasually more expensive air rifles I have, any of which I would reccomend). Its light full power <12fpe and has open sight option. I have another with open sights HW 80, real class rifle. Unfortunately Im having eye sight problems, I can clearly see the end sight and target but the fore sight in a bit blurred. I ordered the Comet because it has true glow sights, tried this set up at our club works for me. Looking forward to its arrival. No1 son is contemplating a BSA Tactical light synthetic stock but no open sights.
    Regards
    John
    I Wear my Badge I have my Voice Proud to be a BASC Member

i.j. is pretty much bang on but i reckon you may end up with a weihrauch as they have a springer for every shooters needs,having said that the aa springers are nice.

i personally love using my hw35k.older than most of the hw designs but i just seem to get something from it that i didnt get a venom tuned 77k that i recently sold......just cant explain it.

definatly a springer you want mate? what about gas ram?
    hand made custom knifes pm for info

Quote Originally Posted by niko View Post
    definatly a springer you want mate? what about gas ram?
    Very much a 'try before you buy' item though
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post

i personally love using my hw35k.older than most of the hw designs but i just seem to get something from it that i didnt get a venom tuned 77k that i recently sold......just cant explain it.
    I can. In one word - 'CHARACTER'.

The '35s not the best rifle, its not even the best made rifle (although it is very good and very well made and as tough as old boots) it just oooozes that certain something and for a rifle to go virtually unchanged for 50+ years and still be popular that says it all really in my eyes.

[Sorry. Back to the subject.]

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

gadget Guest

what springer to buy

hi.
    thanks to all for the advice,
    at the moment using daystate mk3 sport. + aa s410 carbine
    the cost is not a issue,
    more so is the size and weight,
    looking for something as short as poss, and light. but quality for hunting.

cheers gadget

buy my theoben evo karbine mate
    hand made custom knifes pm for info

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    If it's small size/weight then the BSA Lightning XL is a cracking little gun.

Then again, if money is no object Niko's Evo looks damn fine too... I'd have it but the missus would make me sell one of my others!!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Arrow

If price really is no object then a top line tune from V Mach on a Weihrauch HW97K or HW80 will be as good as it gets.
    Out of the box-that is factory standard-the Air Arms Pro Sport is a great rifle and, although not cheap, actually great value for money. The AA TX200HC or Mk 3 (longer barrel) are also very highly rated but have different handling characteristics to the Pro Sport.
    To decide between 'Weihrauch handling' and 'Air Arms handling' I can only repeat what has been said already: get to a gun club and try them out!

Gas rams have been mentioned. They are excellent but it is fair to say that not all shooters like the action. This is either described as 'snappy'- which is fair and a result of the fast action (short lock time) or 'harsh' which in my experience (which I would modestly describe as 'considerable' )is often caused by over pressuring the ram to try and get more power. This is the gas ram equivalent of fitting an overpowered spring in a conventional spring rifle. All it does is make the rifle inaccurate and horrible to shoot
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 16-11-2006 at 11:14 AM.

TallPaul Guest
    This is probably religion but I would steer clear of break barrels, especially second hand: they rely fundamentally on the barrel precisely lining up again each time. That seems unlikely to happen to me as the gun gets older. So I'd say go for an underlever.

Which one is more interesting. I love my Weihrach HW77K and the HW97 looks very nice, although I've never tried one. The TX200 I tried on Sunday seemed OK too (although far too fiddly for a leftie like me).

As others have already said the best thing to do is to try some. If you can pop along to a club. For example we've usually got several springer shooters at a Shepreth meet.