Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA 8x32x44 SWF

BSA 8x32x44 SWF

Had it delivered to day. On first look the build reminds me of a russian or german camera, they look good do their job and feel sturdy.
    The finish is quite good, not smooth but a good even colour.
    The optics seem quite bright and the side wheel focus is either in or out, no half way as with end paralax scopes. The turrets are big as well, plenty of room to stick your own bits of paper on. The turrets move easily, with positive clicks, but i'm not sure if they will hold their setting after being put in and out of a gun case. The clicks are quite wide apart, and can be set between clicks, i'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.
    The side focus wheel although being only slighty larger than the other turrets, has the numbers in yards well spaced out, if they turn out to be accurate, it will be possible to judge the yards between the 30-40-50 marks fairly easily
    The main thing i'm dissapointed with, is on the box is says the scope pots can be reset to zero after zeroing in, i'd assumed that the turrets would unlock in some way, then turn the pot to zero without moving the reticules and then lock up again, This doesn't happen, there is no way to release the pots, there is a big screw on top but it looks like it holds the pot on. I spoke to uttings they don't know, and are going to contact BSA for me.
    Zeroing in was straight forward, plenty of turns on both turrets.
    Compared to my 6x24.56 nikko the scope is not as big or as heavy
    On the whole it looks worth its money, and i'm pleased with it
    Regards Mike
    Webmaster for Castleton FTC
    www.castletonairgun.co.uk

Hi Mate

On some other scopes you unscrew the big screw lift off turret align to zero, push on and tighten screw again

I have just put a Bsa Platinum 8-32x44 front PA scope on my S410k as I wanted to try that rifle at a little FT shooting without spending to much on the scope and even if it proves to be not up to the job I can still drop the mag down and use it as a HFT scope and general target scope.

Overall I am very impressed with it so far. The real test will be range finding between 50 and 55 yards. But across the board so far I like it.
    Steyr 110 FT Connect + Bushnell Elite 8-32x40

Quote Originally Posted by stevecochrane View Post
    Hi Mate

On some other scopes you unscrew the big screw lift off turret align to zero, push on and tighten screw again
    Hi Steve thanks
    Yes I've just tried that it can be done, but it seems to be a bit of a struggle to get the pot off without moving the zero point as its on a knurled shaft. Not what you would expect on a normal scope. Still a bit of a down point

Mike
    Regards Mike

Nikko Comparsion

How does the BSA compare with the nikko on clarity and brightness??
    Also is it a a MilDot reticle?
    Thanks
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by lgo175 View Post
    How does the BSA compare with the nikko on clarity and brightness??
    Also is it a a MilDot reticle?
    Thanks
    Les
    Because the image is a bit bigger on the nikko the BSA appears to be not quite as bright on full mag, but then you would expect that, as the BSA has a smaller end optic. Clarity is better on the BSA.
    The BSA does not white-out as easily as the nikko.
    The reticule is mildot.
    I havent tried out the BSA in really low light, or in bright sunshine yet.
    On the whole I prefer the BSA to the Nikko, it paralaxes much easier, and it hasn't got a large wheel on it yet.
    My eyes being 60 years old need all the help in focusing they can ge
    Regards Mike

I am just thinking about a replacement scope for my FTR. At the moment it has an old Tasco 4-16X40, but the mag is insufficient for longer range targets. It is used for range shooting plus rabbits at dusk/night. I shoot into a paddock which is lit by a nearby sodium roadlight. Once your eyes get used to it, there is sufficient light to see rabbits as they show up quite well inthe yellow light.

So the question is, what is the light transmission like on the BSA in low light?. The Tasco is a good scope, and there doesnt seem to be much difference under those conditions between it and a Leupold EFR I have on a .17HMR.

I also wonder about the AGS SWAT 8-32X56. It is a lot more expensive than the BSA (seen one at £269). Wonder of the lens quality is that much better.
    Can anyone advise?

Ricky67 Guest
    Hi Mikentl
    Found your comments very interesting on the BSA SWF 8-32x44 especially the comparison against the Big Nikko.
    Tried to find this scope for the specifications on the BSA website without success as an article in “Air Gunner” said the body diameter is 30mm. yet a website I tried states 1”.
    Any idea please where I can obtain the full specification? Particularly whether the lens are fully multi-coated.
    Thanks Ricky

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky67 View Post
    Hi Mikentl
    Found your comments very interesting on the BSA SWF 8-32x44 especially the comparison against the Big Nikko.
    Tried to find this scope for the specifications on the BSA website without success as an article in “Air Gunner” said the body diameter is 30mm. yet a website I tried states 1”.
    Any idea please where I can obtain the full specification? Particularly whether the lens are fully multi-coated.
    Thanks Ricky
    Hi Ricky
    On the box it reads:-Multi coated, waterproof, shockproof, and fogproof,
    but i haven't found a spec anywhere.
    The 8x32 scope is 30mm the 1" one is the lower 6x24 scope.
    Took it up the club yesterday, they were quite impressed with the accuracy of the yardage markings on the side wheel.
    Another thing i found nice was the adjustment on the top turret.
    Setting the zero at 35 yds on the the turret 0 mark, the 7 mark was right to about 60 yds, meaning, I didn't have to go past the 0 mark again.
    OK for FT competitions which only go to 55 yds, I don't have to remember to wind back the turret in the correct direction after a long shot.
    Regards Mike

Ricky67 Guest
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for your reply.
    It sounds like the BSA is what I am looking for.
    I currently have an enquiry out to BSA re specs. Will post results if anything useful comes up.
    My main interest is FT so 55yds. is fine.
    I use a scope height of 2.335" to enable use of the magazine which just clears the wheel on the Nikko.
    The important question is "Do you think that a larger wheel is necessary on the BSA as from from the pics the markings look well spaced?"

No I don't the markings on the side wheel are spaced well apart from 25 to 60 there is just over an inch between 30 and 40 i could judge about a yard but between 50 and 60 the best would be about 3 yds.
    A large wheel would make range finding a doddle, I would say every yard could be marked
    Regards Mike

Ricky67 Guest
    Thanks Mike for all the info.
    Think I may turn up a wheel on my lathe large enough to be useful but with clearance for the magazine.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by bolted View Post
    I am just thinking about a replacement scope for my FTR. At the moment it has an old Tasco 4-16X40, but the mag is insufficient for longer range targets. It is used for range shooting plus rabbits at dusk/night. I shoot into a paddock which is lit by a nearby sodium roadlight. Once your eyes get used to it, there is sufficient light to see rabbits as they show up quite well inthe yellow light.

So the question is, what is the light transmission like on the BSA in low light?. The Tasco is a good scope, and there doesnt seem to be much difference under those conditions between it and a Leupold EFR I have on a .17HMR.

I also wonder about the AGS SWAT 8-32X56. It is a lot more expensive than the BSA (seen one at £269). Wonder of the lens quality is that much better.
    Can anyone advise?
    There is also a new MTC Viper 8-32X60 coming out any day now!
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Just spoke to BAR today. Due in any day as you say. Price supposedly fixed at £299. Be interesting to see if they discount them

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky67 View Post
    Thanks Mike for all the info.
    Think I may turn up a wheel on my lathe large enough to be useful but with clearance for the magazine.
    Like to see that when its done Ricky, and to know how it range finds
    Regards Mike