Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: El Gamo CFX Royal

El Gamo CFX Royal

GAMO CFX ROYAL .177

I bought my Gamo CFX Royal 6 weeks ago, after admiring the one belonging to a shooting colleague, for a considerable time. I was impressed from the word go, with the appearance, the finish and the performance. It is easy to understand why the Spaniards call it “El Canon”.

The only plastic parts are the muzzle brake, front sight and the cocking lever latch; everything else is steel, apart from the wooden stock. The blueing is excellent and the beech stock has a nice grain. Overall, the appearance is one of quality and solidity. I was personally not too keen on the matt eurethane type finish on the stock, but 20 minutes with Tcut brought it to an impressive mirror finish.

At 46”, the CFX longer than most, but at a little over 7lbs, is very manageable, without being skittish. The underlever cocking is smooth and positive and is no heavier than a full power break barrel rifle. The rotating breech, liked by some, hated by others, has the advantage of putting the pellet directly into the barrel, which is not the case with a taploader or pop-up breech, which can chew up pellets in the transition from breech to barrel. With the rifle pointed slightly downwards, I find it easy to insert a pellet and push it fully home with my thumb, though someone with larger hands could find it a bit fiddly.

The Gamo trigger frequently comes in for a lot of stick, but IMO is nowhere near as bad as it’s reputation. It has quite a heavy return spring (safety and litigation avoidance?) and a long “pseudo 1st stage”, which in reality is only taking up lost motion in the trigger assembly. With the heavy spring, the release during the “2nd” (really, only single) stage is little vague, but not a real problem. The safety is in front of the trigger and is easily operated with the trigger finger; to rear ON, forward OFF. Firing the gun was smooth and solid; there was no “twang”, that Gamos are apparently famous for and little if any recoil or muzzle jump with the gun loosely held. Everyone accepts that there is a knack in shooting springers, but my conversion from XS78 to CFX posed no problems. From the start, one hole groups at 20 yards rested were no problem and one hole offhand at 10m the same. I am not an expert shot. The open sights are of the “fibre optic” variety, two red dots at the rear and one green at the front, which are illuminated by ambient light. Target acquisition is quick, easy and precise. The rear sight is “click adjust”, but to raise the line of fire enough, it ran out of clicks. A little bending of the sight base, with long nose pliers had the clicks clicking positively again. Our indoor target range is only 20 yards, so I cannot comment on longer ranges yet, but there is no reason to think that accuracy will suffer. I have only used RWS Hobby flatheads (which I use in my pistols) so far and have not experimented with different pellets. Power straight out of the box was only 10.5fpe and initially I was concerned. More knowledgeable guys assured me that it would bed in. Sure enough, after 200 or so pellets, it ran 11.5fpe, with, at that time, a 26fps variation.

Shortly after receiving the gun (next day from Uttings, JSR did not have .177), I ordered a tuning kit and a trigger insert from Rich from Mich:-
    http://home.comcast.net/~peterdragin...ml/default.htm
    The trigger insert, at US$8 changes the trigger to a genuine 2 stage and this part and the removal of the return spring give an “almost match grade” trigger with about 1lb pull weight. It transforms the gun. The tuning kit consists of a thrust bearing and tophat to go inside the piston and a new spring guide, tighter than the original, made of a material that seems to be a cross between Nylon and Teflon. The gun was dissembled, all burrs on the stamped parts removed and then reassembled with moly grease and the tuning kit. Another transformation! Even smoother cocking and even smoother firing and with no other modifications, over 13fpe!! Quick dismantle and cut 3mm from the rear of the spring guide, followed a few minutes later by another 3 (6mm total). Average now over 6 shots is 11.9fpe, with only 10fps variation. I may have to reduce it more after another 200 or so shots. Total cost of changes, US$52 including postage. Money very well spent.

EDIT AFTER FURTHER CHRONO TEST 2/2/07
    Checked MV/FPE again yesterday and it had dropped to 853/11.32. The previous higher figure must have been due to combustion of excess lube (though I was not heavy handed with it and there has been no obvious sound of detonation). Replaced the two offcuts from spring guide (approx 2/3 of their original thickness due to sawcuts) and up again to 907/12.79. One spacer/offcut removed and now at just on 12fpe. I half expect it will ease off as it did last time so will chrono again after +/- 150 rounds, modify again if necessary and report back.
    END OF EDIT

EDIT AFTER FURTHER CHRONO TEST 26 FEB
    Checked again today, average 891fps, 12.34fpe using RWS Hobby 7gr.
    Removed other offcut from behind spring guide. Overall length of piston/spring/guide assy. now back to ex works value of 323mm.
    Re-chronoed. 1st ten Av 855fps, 11.36fpe, 2nd ten Av 861fps, 11.52fpe, with Hobbys
    Ten RWS Superdomes 8.3gr, Av 773fps, 11.03fpe.
    Will check again in a few weeks. Gun is dieselling slightly (correctly?) ie. no noise of detonation, but slight whiff of burnt oil after firing. Spring looked perfect when removed, ie. no compressed coils. Cocking and firing very smooth.
    END OF EDIT

Overall, I am impressed with the quality, power, accuracy and value of the CFX and find it hard to understand why Gamo have the doubtful (cheapo?) reputation they appear to carry in the UK. Maybe it is because their range of guns goes down to the "junior" and almost "toy" guns. I am sure that if people could be more open minded and take the trouble to find, inspect and try out the Gamo full power rifles, there would be many more converts. No one is trying to put them on the same pedestal as the latest £1000 mega PCP, but I feel they should be rather more respected and popular in the UK than is presently the case. The reviews on Review Centre make enlightening reading:-
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/consumer_reviews54.html

Ric Douglas, an American Gamo enthusiast entered in a California State FT contest, with a refurbished (warranty return?) CFX, untuned, unlubed and unmodified. He also thinks the CFX is greatly underestimated and that is in a country where Gamos are rather more accepted than here. This is a quote from his Yellow Forum posting:-

“I Know there are still disbelievers, but the CFX now gets my personal recommendation. Here's the significance of the event:
    1. Half of the 20 shooters were State/National Champions
    2. The guns were TX200's, 1 HW97 and 1 R9. My Gamo CFX was the Only Cheapie
    3. The cheapest Springer rig, next to mine, costs about $600 bucks
    4. MY gun, Scope, Mounts and Trigger costs about $220 bucks
    5. Out of 100 shots, my score was only 5 points behind 3RD Place
    6. This is my 3RD Field Target Match
    7. The trigger insert DOES Work. It's not a Rekord , but some think it should. at $10 bucks, it should be included as an Option from Gamo. Mine dropped almost 2 pounds to 1 Pound 8 Ounces from the original 3 Pounds 6 Ounces. It still has long travel, but it's Smooth and Buttery.
    8. This was a State Match and not a Local Event. Ric”

Note: The trigger insert mentioned by Ric is simply a nut, screw and spring affair that can be assembled out of the junk box. The Rich from Mich version is probably preferable and I can definitely recommend it for any of the Gamos with the same trigger assy.

VIVA EL CANON!
    Last edited by derekm; 26-02-2007 at 02:06 PM. Reason: $52 not $59
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Hello derekm.

Just read your freview on the CFX.

Noted your "tweeks", & at resonable cost too!

Concerning the "twang" of the Gamo Shadow Sport, as we previously discussed, I think that as the plastic/synthetic stock is less solid & lighter than the CFX stock, me thinks it is a lot less effective at absorbing the "twang" & recoil.

The other week I was talking to the chap at the place where I bought it from & he told me that it, the Shadow Sport, could do with a piston guide, or was it a better piston guide. Can't remember now exactly what he said. Will have to enquire the next time I pay a visit. Is it possible that this rifle has no piston guide? Apologies if I am talking cr*p. Still new at this game.

Nice review!
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Almost no doubt that the plastic stock will dampen sound less than wood, but I have to say that I still expected "twang" (as on the Baikal) and was pleasantly surprised that the only sound was a solid "thump", even in original spec. The gun never was rough, but is a lot smoother with the new parts. I never actually fired the gun in it's original state like a pistol, one handed, at the hip, but since the work, loosing it off this way gives more of just a tremor than a kick or recoil (for want of words to explain!).

A point of interest; there is only about 10 or 15lb of preload on the CFX spring and the rear plug only comes back an inch or so when all preload is removed. With an assistant it would easily be possible to remove the spring without a compressor. Rich does it single handed, by hand, even on the more powerful US versions. The "compressor" I used is 4 small blocks of wood screwed to the bench to locate the gun and a length of gash 1 1/2" x 3/4", bolted to the bench at one end as a lever. Belly against the lever leaves two hands free to punch out rear plug retainer pin. After the trigger job and the "tune" (don't like that word!), I doubt anyone would dismiss it as "just a Gamo".
    Get yourself to the Post Office, buy some dollar bills and order your parts from Rich (add $6 for overseas post). Easy as pie; go for it!

Not sure what the guy means by a piston guide, unless he means a "top hat". My CFX didn't have one in standard trim, but the R fr M tuning kit is top hat and new rear spring guide. On reflection, it was obviously the thickness of the top hat that increased the spring pre-load and so the power.

If you do go for Rich's kit, his new spring guide needs to be cut down from 109mm to 103mm. This gave me 11.93fpe. I may have to take a little more off when things are bedded in more, but that will only take 1/2 hour total, now I've done it a couple of times. Post up how you get on.
    Last edited by derekm; 25-01-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

Morning!

I think it will be a while before I do get round to messing with the Shadow Sport. Still new to this game, so I don't want to fix what isn't broke, so to speak. Mind you, I might have a word with my mate Clive. He's handy with air rifles.

Cheers!

Don't worry about being new, it's not rocket science! Have a look at:
    _
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/47903...+-+long+-+pics

It's details of a complete strip of a CFX with excellent photos. The power end of your gun should be the same. If you take it easy and use common sense, you'll have no problems at all. Get Clive to help and then you don't need a spring compressor. The CFX is only the second springer I've taken apart, the first being the Baikal pistol. If anything, the Baikal was the more awkward, because the spring comes out a lot further at the rear and the trigger group cannot be removed.

Take a chance! You won't recognise your gun afterwards!

I probably won't recognise all the parts I'll have left over after putting it back together either!

I'm quite happy with the power of the rifle, just would like it a bit smoother when it is fired.

Fair enough, your choice. The object of the "tune" though, is not to increase power, but to make it cock and fire smoother. I got the initial increase because of the difference between the US and UK versions. If you cut the rear guide to 103mm or a shade less, you will not get more power, just a smoother gun.

Afternoon.

I may get chance to have a look at it tonight. I think at first I will re-grease the spring & go from there.

Any idea what would be the best grease to use & how much to put on? I take it you just smear it all over the spring in an even covering?

Tar!

Moly grease is what you would use. Not too much, just a film on piston behind seal, on the spring and the rear guide. I've used CV joint grease diluted with airgun oil for sliding surfaces and undiluted as "spring tar". You have to take the gun to bits to do that though. Why not just drop the action out of the stock and see how well (or badly) it's greased now? If OK, leave it until you want to go the whole hog, if dry, get organised for a complete strip, de-burr re-grease etc. The main thing with lubrication of spring guns is better too little than too much.

Thanks for that.

Will have a look at it.

Storrington (except when in Spain for the winter)
    I have a CFX Royale Spanish version 17ft/lb and agree with positive aspects of the review. Having the higher power does increase the spring twang and although I have not yet tried to tune this out I have seen a suggestion for damping the twang simply by wrapping a strip of plastic foam around the spring. I may try this and wonder whether anyone else has tried this fix.

I did this to my Baikal pistol and it did improve matters somewhat, but as Cinstone pointed out in his Shadow review, it may not last too long.

To do the job properly I would unreservedly recommend the thrust bearing, top hat and spring guide from Rich from Mich (link in 1st post) along with his trigger modification. Total cost incl. mail is $52. (ask Rich to put "parts $12 on the customs slip) You really will think you are using a different gun and I would guess that with a de-burr and regrease while dismantled, you will finish up topside of 18fpe with no further mods. If you want (and can legally have) more power, get Rich to supply a better spring too. Prices on his website.

Storrington (except when in Spain for the winter)
    Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    I did this to my Baikal pistol and it did improve matters somewhat, but as Cinstone pointed out in his Shadow review, it may not last too long.

To do the job properly I would unreservedly recommend the thrust bearing, top hat and spring guide from Rich from Mich (link in 1st post) along with his trigger modification. Total cost incl. mail is $52. (ask Rich to put "parts $12 on the customs slip) You really will think you are using a different gun and I would guess that with a de-burr and regrease while dismantled, you will finish up topside of 18fpe with no further mods. If you want (and can legally have) more power, get Rich to supply a better spring too. Prices on his website.
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate that it would be a short term mod and will do the full job in due course. I make all my own parts for this and am contemplating a brass top hat and Nylatron spring guide. I am limited by the Spanish laws while here in Spain but do not need more than 18ft/lb. I already have my own trigger mod which gives a genuine two stage action with a crisp 2lb trigger pull but it is a bit time consuming to install. The original is currently in UK on a Realtree Hunter and I have the Spanish Realtree Hunter here waiting some more tuning - .25 calibre with 18ft/lb!

Back to top for edit (extra info.) 2 Feb 07.

Ok, so the CFX Royal doesn't come ready to rust, have springs hacked to length with a blunt angle-grinder, fly apart causing injury, decimate your digits or double up as weight-training gear....
    How can you seriously think that its undoubted accuracy compensates for the lack of these quality attributes - which are, however, all made available to the discerning consumer in more expensive, superior brands?