Thread: El Gamo CFX Royal

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Almost no doubt that the plastic stock will dampen sound less than wood, but I have to say that I still expected "twang" (as on the Baikal) and was pleasantly surprised that the only sound was a solid "thump", even in original spec. The gun never was rough, but is a lot smoother with the new parts. I never actually fired the gun in it's original state like a pistol, one handed, at the hip, but since the work, loosing it off this way gives more of just a tremor than a kick or recoil (for want of words to explain!).

A point of interest; there is only about 10 or 15lb of preload on the CFX spring and the rear plug only comes back an inch or so when all preload is removed. With an assistant it would easily be possible to remove the spring without a compressor. Rich does it single handed, by hand, even on the more powerful US versions. The "compressor" I used is 4 small blocks of wood screwed to the bench to locate the gun and a length of gash 1 1/2" x 3/4", bolted to the bench at one end as a lever. Belly against the lever leaves two hands free to punch out rear plug retainer pin. After the trigger job and the "tune" (don't like that word!), I doubt anyone would dismiss it as "just a Gamo".
    Get yourself to the Post Office, buy some dollar bills and order your parts from Rich (add $6 for overseas post). Easy as pie; go for it!

Not sure what the guy means by a piston guide, unless he means a "top hat". My CFX didn't have one in standard trim, but the R fr M tuning kit is top hat and new rear spring guide. On reflection, it was obviously the thickness of the top hat that increased the spring pre-load and so the power.

If you do go for Rich's kit, his new spring guide needs to be cut down from 109mm to 103mm. This gave me 11.93fpe. I may have to take a little more off when things are bedded in more, but that will only take 1/2 hour total, now I've done it a couple of times. Post up how you get on.
    Last edited by derekm; 25-01-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.