Thread: Lighter pellets v's wind

jay.t is offline Unique is an understatement, I'm just a messed up frog pimp.

Lighter pellets v's wind

I've read many a thread claiming that a lighter faster pellet takes less wind,

Turns out my steyr hated jsb's so i've switched to mozzies, a vast improvment overnight, just down to the jerk on the trigger now

I shot twice last weekend and have been testing during the week too, trouble is i just cannot gauge how much these will move, they seem to be taking more than the jsb's did

Running them around 810 fs with single figure spread

Is it an urban myth or has anyone found lighter pellets to hold their line?

tia jay.
    Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?

It might be down to the barrel Jay. 7.9 Prems are really good at the mo, but are more difficult to read where they are going to go in blustery conditions.

Same gun indoors the prems out group anything else, out doors in a breeze, the groups are bigger when shot side by side. It gets much worse past 45y too.
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/
    Staffordshire Custom Rifles - Maverick & MTC Connect

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by jayt View Post
    Is it an urban myth or has anyone found lighter pellets to hold their line?
    They have through some of my barrels but I've seen it in other rifles where it's not the case.
    I only really use lightweights through springers. This is where I think that they really come into their own.

IIRC, this picture was a comparison of Mosquitos and Exacts at 35 yards in a fairly strong breeze fired by a Steyr.
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 15-05-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

I bought some mozzies last week to try in my steyr.
    In blustery condition at thirty yards the target looked like i had used a shot gun. With its usual daystate selects 45.3 the group tightened right up to a ragged one hole with with occasional flier close to the hole.

I have not tried them in still conditions to see how well they do under no wind.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Chris C does Jay and he can plink a bit, so did Bri Samson. I've always found the opposite myself, but then I am an oddball.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

I've been using Mossies in my EV2 for 3 years and my experience is that they drift less in the wind compared to the 8.4 derivatives; the difference seems to be greater than can be simply explained by the shorter flight time, which is only marginally less.

The mossie is a shorter and fatter pellet than the 8.4s, the waist is less pronounced.

I'd also echo what Dave said about CPs. Tested in still air conditions they are the dogs bits but outside in the real world they don't seem to deliver what they promise. CPs are tight in the EV2 breech and I do know after six years with this gun that it gives the best results with pellets that load very easily.

There seem to be 2 schools of thought on this one.
    I used to use JSB heavy weights through my Mk3 and they grouped ok but in the wind I seemed to give around half the windage of other people I shot round with.
    On the down side the aim point between 35yards and 45yards was around 1 to 2 inches diffrence due to dropping off at range.

I have swopped over to mozzies as the heavies seem difficult to get hold of, they group better but do seem to move alittle more in a breeze
    I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labottomy