Thread: Bsa Superten

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the responses, chaps (or chapettes?)

Given your comments about the bolt action, I've had a rethink. It's difficult to know if one persons 'graunchy' is another's 'bit stiff' as this is rather subjective. So the nearest I could get was to hand it over to my girlfriend (who hates guns) and make her operate the bolt. This seems to prove that I was being too fussy as she had no trouble with it.
    If I try to push it all the way down in the rear slot it doesn't want to go past half-way, but half-way is enough to fully cock it so the answer seems obvious. The fact is, if I just use it without the concerns that come with having just parted with £500 it's ok really. Still nothing like as slick as an 80 year old SMLE though.
    Saturday tomorrow so a chance to chuck some more lead through it.

Safe and happy shooting to all

The bolt on the super ten is stiff . I owned the full bull barrel version one reg. FAC. I did end up selling it. But if I still had it today. I think I would of had my machinist custom make me a longer bolt with a bigger knob at the end. Which IMO would take care of the "stiffness"..
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1..._2006/BSAl.jpg

I got my S10 ten years ago and it is still going strong. The stock is very nice until the woodwork approaches the action, after which it is just plain ugly

Mine is a Mark 3 so will have slightly different woodwork to yours. From an aesthetic point of view, anything with a ruddy great black bottle sticking out of it isn't likely to be pretty, but it does feel well designed in use - I particularly like the adjustable but pad which I think should feature on all rifles.

I take the point about multishots being more useful when shooting in the dark. I hadn't thought of this as I haven't done any lamping or the like.

Hello Jamie

When i got my Superten from Sandwell, the guy there likes to re lube the bolt which made it much smoother. After Mr Bowkett had fettled it then it was even smoother.

You dont have to turn the bolt down after pulling it back but its a useful check to make sure it came back far enough. I never bother too any more.
    (Edit - I checked this with BSA. The back slot is more to aid magazine removal and to make sure you pulled the bolt back far enough.
    Thats because of the deadlock gismo which is incase the bolt slips out of your hand when cocking it preventing the gun from going off half cocked so to speak)

As the others said the multishot is a advantageous when hunting at night.
    Its also useful in the daylight when so little movement is required to reload that you can sometimes get a second rabbit feeding near the first.

Out of curiousity what pellets does it prefer ?
    Last edited by Ric O'shay; 08-02-2007 at 07:21 AM.
    BSA Superten BBK (Blueprinted), BSA Ultra SS Regged, Tanfoglio Witness, Umarex 1911
    and many, many bows and slingshots

can you tell me what Mr bowkett did and how much and what kind of diff it made, i tried logun penotrators, accupells but the H&N field target trophy were the most consistant at the weekend

Unfortunately, the latest version does require that the bolt is turned down when pulled back. I was told this was to satisfy an American market requirement. It's not a huge problem really and remains pretty easy to operate. It's just that, at this price, I think I have a right to expect 'slick and perfect'!
    So far only shot Bisley pellets (as recommended by the seller), but I will be testing a range of different brands for power consistency and accuracy in near future so will post findings then.

I love my MkII S10 BB Carbine. The bolt on mine was quite stiff and graunchy, but John Bowkett sorted that out when he did the blue-printing.

Mine groups well with Daystate 4.52mm pellets, although some BSA barrels seem to like Bisley Magnums.

I'm saving up at the moment to get a MkIII stock, which to my eye is much nicer than the one on my MkII.