Thread: Webley Hawke .177 chromed barrel

Webley Hawke .177 chromed barrel

Looking for some information I have a Webley Hawke .177 with a chrome barrel and safety catch on the back of the breech, just want to know if anyone else has had or heard about them as I am wanting a new sight for the barrel end and also a new open sight.

Any information would be great.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by peter65 View Post
    Looking for some information I have a Webley Hawke .177 with a chrome barrel and safety catch on the back of the breech, just want to know if anyone else has had or heard about them as I am wanting a new sight for the barrel end and also a new open sight.

Any information would be great.
    Hi Peter, Webley made three versions of the Hawk, these were/are the MkI, the MkII and (yep, you've guessed it ) the MkIII. The first two of these were sold with two interchangable barrels -- one in .177 and one in .22. The MkI barrels were attached/swapped via a bayonet type fitting, and the MkII via a screw thread. Both the MkI and MkII have to be cocked to change the barrels, and the MkII barrels are also further held secure via a grub screw.

The MkIII Hawks produced by Webley came as either a .22 or .177 only. All models of Hawk had/have the push-in safety at the back of the chamber a little like the later Longbow although a bit more agricultural.

Early Hawk MkIIs differ from later Hawk MkIIs in as much as the early ones shared the more romantic monte-carlo style of stocks and swept-back fore-end sights that the MkI enjoyed, while the later Hawk MkIIs had stocks and sights the same as the MkIIIs (which are also extremely similar to those of the MkI Vulcan).

None of these Hawk rifles came with chrome barrels as standard, but several of the MkIIs had their barrels chromed by their owners around that time (mid 1970s) as apparently it was a bit of a fashionable bling bling thing . As far as spare sights go, having tried several avenues to find a few, the best I can suggest is this... Fore-end sights for the MkI and early MkII are extremely rare. I only found one for mine after months and months of regular searching.

Sights for the later MkII and MkIII Hawks are a little easier to find, but if all else fails, the old Webley Vulcan MkI sights (not the MKII or MkIII though), and Webley Exocet sights are fairly close and once fitted can look the part. All Webley rear sights from the Hawk MkII through to the Vulcan MkIII are the same however, which makes finding them quite easy as both Chambers and Knibbs stock these.

Right then, thats quite enough waffle from me, hope I've helped and happy Hawk hunting . ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Ahh, brings back memories of my childhood, a .22 Hawk MKII and 10 acres of apple and pear orchard to shoot! A bit different now, but I still have the rifle!

Chris.
    Because the best is barely good enough........

Webley Hawk

Thanks for the advice exactly what I wanted, shall go and have a hunt around.

Hawk mk11

Hi
    If you have no luck with J Knibbs or Chambers or you consider them too expensive then let me know as my local gunsmith at Melbourne (just south of Derby) sold me a Hawk Mk111 rear sight from a box of Webley spares. I will dig out his card /tel.number
    At the time (about 3 years ago) there were a number of the Webley plastic rear sight units in his box of spares. He charged £5.00 which was a very fair price.

PS Cheque for Pistol received and I will get it boxed up and dispatched this coming week
    John

This wouldn`t happen to be Melbourne just between East Midlands AIrport and Swadlincote as I am from around there and travel to see relatives now and again seeing as I moved to County Durham.

Very interested please send any details you have, much appreciated.

Melbourne gunsmiths

Yes it is.

There are 2 guys who work there.
    The owner and his assistant.
    I suppose most of their trade is shotguns
    It is the assistant (the younger of the 2) who seems more interested in the airgun side. Apart from spares and a good range of pellets they do have quite a number of secondhand air rifles for sale. (springers and PCP's but not many pistols)
    I have bought a Webley Mk111, an Original 10 and a FAS 604 from them - all at very fair prices, particularly the 2 pistols
    If you are passing nearby then it is worth calling in. They sometimes have some older guns on the rack.
    They are next to a large church and very near Melbourne Hall which is open to public so easy to find

John

Melbourne Tackle and Gun

I have just found their details

Tel Number is 01322 862091

The address is 64 Church Street, Melbourne, Derbyshire DE73 1EJ

Good luck

John

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by peter65 View Post
    Thanks for the advice exactly what I wanted, shall go and have a hunt around.
    No problem mate, glad to be able to help, and similarly glad to find someone I can rattle on about Webley & Scott rifles to (reference post No.3 on this thread ). ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Just to say a big thanks to everyone who answered my post, have taken all advice on board and will go on a search this weekend.

Once again thanks