Thread: Falke 90 curiosity

Falke 90 curiosity

I have one of these which has an interesting quirk.

The underlever pivot pin has been threaded on both sides for small screws which are fitted through holes drilled through both sides of the stock forend. They can be fitted only after the stock is attached to the action and the holes have neat push fit caps.

From what I can see on a standard model 90 the lever pivot pin is fixed in the normal way by having its ends expanded (peened?).

The arrangement on this 90 has the feel of a factory prototype because if the mod was simply to secure a loose pin it could have been done far more cheaply and discreetly. Tapping the pivot pin is a highly precise operation and it's hard to see why it was done unless someone was experimenting with a long term improvement.

Drilling the forend was a strange decision because the screws can only be fitted after the stock is fitted (awkward) and it would have been simple to just cut out small grooves in the underside of the forend to accommodate the screw heads much more discreetly and allow the stock to come on and off easily.

Pic of screw

If anyone has any suggestions as to why this particular mod might have been done I'd like to hear them please.

Pics of the 90:

left side
    right side

Here is an excellent article on the Falke 90: page 1, page 2
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Garvin,
    you've triggered some pleasant memories for me!
    I used to play around with a Falk when I was a boy. Not sure if it was a mod.30 or 60,cant remember.It was a smallish gun and It had a leather breech washer and was a smooth bore in 0.177.
    Sadly I don't have it any more.
    Thanks for posting the info on the Falk 90, very interesting read.

re Falke

Hi Garvin
    seeing your picture of the Falke air rifle made me drool and start to salivate Wow I also have a Falke but yours puts mine in the shade by it being so complete and even an extra pair of screws pictures of mine http://www.picturetrail.com/abewilson which is minus the rearsite. Incidently I will dig up a letter that I received from MANCHESTER Air GUNS a reply to mine dated must be over twenty years ago in request for a rearsight. The butt plate on mine is damaged. My rifle has never been fired since I have had it but when I have cocked the rifle the strength needed is considerablee which makes me think that it is very powerful, it is a .22 cal possibly walnut stock thanks for the printed info. I have copied it for reference later. Garvin you are mine of information I would like to know if there are any other Falke owners who could give me an address to get a rearsight for mine.
    regards
    abewilson

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Hi Garvin,
    I used to play around with a Falk when I was a boy. Not sure if it was a mod.30 or 60,cant remember.It was a smallish gun and It had a leather breech washer and was a smooth bore in 0.177.
    I have a couple of smaller Falkes in my collection, a 50 and a 70. The 50 is smoothbore while the 70 is rifled but I believe they were also available smooth bore.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Hi Garvin,

Thanks for posting the info on the Falk 90, very interesting read.
    You're welcome bud. If you fancied a trip down memory lane quite a few of the Falke 50s come up for sale on egun.de.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Re Falke

Hi Garvin
    the serial number was where you said, under the loading tap 's3' its stamped there and also on the underside of the barrel that can only be seen when the underlever is pulled to cock the rifle. ''FALKE'' and ''Modell 90'' (same spelling)is also clearly stamped on top. The stock is possibly beech it has a black stain 1inch+1/2 which seems to be growing. The stock had been treated when I first bought it with a clear varnish. The gun measures a massive 45 inches I put it on the bathroom scales and got a reading of 8.8 When ever I pick it up it has a certain balance that feels just right it does remind me of the airsporter that I sold : ( If you are ever in the area give me a ring to make sure I am in sent you a PM.
    Thanks for the info.
    abe
    'The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens'

How do those Falké 90s shoot? Wallhangers or shooters? Whats the trigger and finish like?
    ATB,
    yana