Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bsa Mercury "S" .177 in walnut

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Question Bsa Mercury "S" .177 in walnut

No longer looking as have now found one . This is still an interesting thread to read however, and for those of you who have been following this, please read post #26 for the "happy ever after" ending .

What chance of finding a BSA Mercury "S" (chequered and walnut stock) in.177 in V.G.C., and how much do you think one would/should cost? Recently sold both my Superstars (£175 ea), my RB-2 "as rare as hens teeth" carbine Airsporter (£175) and standard beech .22 Mercury (£65) to raise a few quid in readiness for the new baby my wife is having later this year (). But I've also sold a load of fishing gear too, so I can now afford one more collectable yet useable rifle, and really fancy one of the aforementioned. All help, info, thoughts and views will be greatly appreciated. ATB : Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 28-02-2007 at 08:07 PM. Reason: to ad no longer looking, have now got one, and see post #26 for the "happy ever after" ending.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    You got my hopes up there Gareth, I thought you were selling one for a few lovely seconds!
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

hi gareth

the mercury s is much harder to find than the airsporter s , even more so in
    .177 i would say £175 for a nice example

see you soon
    lance

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    hi gareth

the mercury s is much harder to find than the airsporter s , even more so in
    .177. I would say £175 for a nice example.
    Cheers Lance, thats what I thought too, as that seems the market price for most top range collectable BSA springers (notwithstanding centenary specials) ... So, anybody got a Mercury "S" .177 I can buy please ?

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thumbs up Mercury "S" -.177 -!

Gareth

Sending E'mail -
    Chris

Thanks Chris, that sounds fantastic and yes please, I will take it . I know you gave me your addy when I bought my .22 MkI Superstar off you (sadly now sold for baby stuff ), but as that was a fair while ago now, I have since lost it so please do p-m me it again and I'll post payment first thing in the morning. To the rest who may read this, cheers but am now sorted thanks to Good Guy Chrisaa (a really TOP bloke to deal with ). ATB all: Gareth W-B

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Thanks Chris, that sounds fantastic and yes please, I will take it . I know you gave me your addy when I bought my .22 MkI Superstar off you (sadly now sold for baby stuff ), but as that was a fair while ago now, I have since lost it so please do p-m me it again and I'll post payment first thing in the morning. To the rest who may read this, cheers but am now sorted thanks to Good Guy Chrisaa (a really TOP bloke to deal with ). ATB all: Gareth W-B
    I think I own that superstar now! It went to a good home, don't worry.
    "Putting a country take on things..."

Quote Originally Posted by exmoor beast View Post
    I think I own that superstar now! It went to a good home, don't worry.
    If you bought it from good old Punchsteve, yep its my old one. Beaut isn't it . Hope you've still got the original printed box that it came in however, as given time, I reckon that'll end up being more valuable than the actual rifle . Thanks for letting me know its in good hands though mate, as its always nice to keep track of where past favourites end up (usually with Paddy SP ). ATB: G.W-B.

I've just done a refurb on a Mercury S. Resized spring guides, top hat etc. Internal polish, Thinly lubed with graphite grease. Nice as any springer I've shot including venoms. I also intend to Shorten the piston head to give more swept volume (less recoil).

Also just finished a MK I tonight. Same job (done the piston on this one) but front end of cylinder lubed with teflon grease. First impressions are favourable.

Challenger

If I may be permitted to hijack Gareth's thread, does anyone remember and know what became of the Mercury Challenger?

I reviewed the Challenger in 1985, roughly a year after John Parker reviewed the standard Mercury. The challenger had a nice West German made stock, a bolt rather than a pin for the breech block, and a raised and buffered scope rail.

The Challenger had much less discharge movement than the standard Mercury, which may have contributed to its accuracy, which was head and shoulders above that of previous versions, the group sizes being roughly half the diameter.

The Challenger handled well, looked great - and I would think an early example would be very collectable today.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    If I may be permitted to hijack Gareth's thread .....
    You certainly may, am glad for you to do so, as that is what this section is for: giving and gleaning information on collectables . To be honest, I'd never heard of the Mercury Challenger, so any information will not only be of interest to BTDT, but also to me, and I would imagine many others who frequent this section too -- especially if you have any pictures to post .

Hi
    I have just got hold of a mercury challenger after a long search for one, i had one in the late 80s when they came out in 177 and the one i have now is 177 its in a sorry state but working on it at the moment to bring it back to life, one rifle i should of kept, once this one is done i will keep it, i think it is a better rifle than the mercury s in looks and the way it shoots, would like to hear from anyone else with a challenger, but all mercurys make good hunting rifles and are very easy to work on , get them doing between 10 and 11 ft lbs they can be very smooth to shoot i have had a few mercurys and most run at 10 1/2 ft lbs .
    jjjjjj

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    You got my hopes up there Gareth, I thought you were selling one for a few lovely seconds!
    Well the Hudsonian Institute liked my first go at the Merc S(as you know). The attempt at the MK I is as good, if not better, smoother, fast, and most "whumpsome". Hoping to get to Parc Tomorrow to put it over the chrony. Definitely up there Saturday morning (you listening sossidge fingers? You'll defo like this one). The other may be present as well if the new cocking lever arrives in time.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    I've been looking (unsuccessfully) for a Mercury Challenger for some time now...
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I've been looking (unsuccessfully) for a Mercury Challenger for some time now...
    Keep looking, Paddy - it's worth the effort.

I achieved better accuracy at twenty yards outdoors with the Challenger than John had at ten metres indoors with the Mk.3 Mercury (both bench rested).