Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bsa Mercury "S" .177 in walnut

According to my readings (yes BTDT - I can read ) of the Blue Book Of Airguns the Mercury Challenger was produced from 1983-97 while Knibbs has it as 1985-86 (in his serial numbers list). It was advertised in 1986 at £99.50 rrrp.
    Didn't they also produce it in .25 cal?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    According to my readings (yes BTDT - I can read ) of the Blue Book Of Airguns the Mercury Challenger was produced from 1983-97 while Knibbs has it as 1985-86 (in his serial numbers list). It was advertised in 1986 at £99.50 rrrp.
    Didn't they also produce it in .25 cal?

ATB
    Ian
    It was introduced in 1985. Page 10, SAR, December 1985 if you want to see the advert, which starts "This superb new air rifle..."

Glad those adult literacy classes paid off.

I much preferred Air Gun World with its test of the Challenger (AGW Annual, 1986, page 48).

ATB
    Ian

If anyone does manage to get hold of a Challenger I'd be interested to learn whether and how if differs from the standard Mercury internally. The recoil was very low and I thought that may be due to the buffered piston head or perhaps a lightweight piston but, sadly, BSA would not allow me to strip the rifle to take a peek inside.

draftsmann Guest
    I have exactly that Mercury S - 0.177, walnut, and best of all, converted by John Bowkett. Unfortunately, I've had it from new for over 20 years, and I'll never part with it.

Good luck in finding one - they are very nice.

Adrian

Gareth W-B is online now Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I have exactly that Mercury S - 0.177, walnut, and best of all, converted by John Bowkett. Unfortunately, I've had it from new for over 20 years, and I'll never part with it.

Good luck in finding one - they are very nice.

Adrian
    Ahh-haa! They sure are, see post number five above as the power of the BBS (and this thread ) has found me one via good guy Chrisaa. Therefore I too am now a member of the walnut BSA Mercury "S" .177 club (or at least I will be when it arrives ). Cheers for reminding me what a sound purchase I've just made however, as this is a rifle I intend to keep ... ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    If you bought it from good old Punchsteve, yep its my old one. Beaut isn't it . Hope you've still got the original printed box that it came in however, as given time, I reckon that'll end up being more valuable than the actual rifle . Thanks for letting me know its in good hands though mate, as its always nice to keep track of where past favourites end up (usually with Paddy SP ). ATB: G.W-B.
    It was indeed the lovely example I bought from you Gareth, IIRC I almost had to disguise it as diy gear (I suggested a giant tube of Mastic) to avoid suspicion from his wife.

Edit: While we're on the subject, I too would give my right wotsit to own a Walnut Mercury S if I could afford it, which I can't So best of luck in your search Gareth.
    Last edited by Punchsteve; 17-02-2007 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    It was indeed the lovely example I bought from you Gareth, IIRC I almost had to disguise it as diy gear (I suggested a giant tube of Mastic) to avoid suspicion from his wife.

Edit: While we're on the subject, I too would give my right wotsit to own a Walnut Mercury S (if I could afford it)
    Keep your voice down! Its under my mates bed at the moment....
    "Putting a country take on things..."

They have a bolt up adjustable breech,
    my .25 challenger was a great Rifle.

I could have bought one from a old guys collection a few years ago - there was a Challenger (can't remember the cailbre - .177 I think), std 635 magnum .25 and a deluxe 635 magnum .25 - all complete mint boxed sets - I bought the 635 deluxe - but was to afraid to mark it when using and for my target shooting .25 was a bit limited in range (interesting drop at 50 yds when set on a 25 yard zero - so sold it on.
    Now I have seen the light and should have had the Challenger
    Stu
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

As it says above, arrived this morning and is absolutely lovely . Stock looks as if its American walnut (very dark red-ish brown graining), and metal work is ni-on perfect (95%) and the few (and I do mean few) dinks in the stock just give it character . Very pleased with this deal, and with Good Guy Chrisaa, but knew exactly what to expect as have dealt with him before. Therefore, I've no quibbles whatsoever in recommending a deal with Chris to any other BBS member (he really is a top chap ). ATB all: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

mercury challenger

hi all out there,i've got a .25 mercury challenger in fine condition-98% of original condition fitted with a period silencer at time of purchase.
    the sale price is- £250.00p.or i will swap the barrel for a mercury.22 or .177,cosmetics not important as long as the gun is fully functional. at last roll your own challenger.
    regards nik

ive an airsporter s in .177 that i bought from streathem armoury in the 80's that i'd never part with
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

My 'S' (mark 1) collection. Airsporters and Mercurys. I.M.O. one of the best rifles every produced by BSA.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by air revolution View Post
    hi all out there,i've got a .25 mercury challenger in fine condition-98% of original condition fitted with a period silencer at time of purchase.
    the sale price is- £250.00p.or i will swap the barrel for a mercury.22 or .177,cosmetics not important as long as the gun is fully functional. at last roll your own challenger.
    regards nik
    Ahh, my old thread back again like a dearly loved long lost friend . I have a feeling daveuk is after something like this, si I'll e-mail him for you. He is in Iraq at the moment but gets on line from time to time and will be back by Christmas ... and if he wants it but can't get the £££ to you within your time scale I'll stump up for it and sort the particulars with Dave as and when . Atb: Gareth W-B.