Thread: My old toys

My old toys

First up, we have a Mercury Mk1. Got this one only last week for a song. Initially, it was to canibalise for other little projects but I've given it some "treatment" and I'm well happy with it.
    The piston has been shortened to give a bit more swept volume, but no weights have been added. Spring guide has been made to fit better and a top hat has been made. New O ring piston seal. Front end very thinly lubed with teflon grease. Spring greased with graphite grease (heavier at the ends of the spring. The trigger is quite nice for one of these. Smooth and fast, low recoil. Doing 11.3 pfe. Just tidied the stock up for the time being. May do more to it later. The action was a bit tatty, so I stripped it completely anfd polished it on a buffing wheel. Looks chrome plated now. Not original, but looks quite nice. Sights are off the Mercury S (which is next on the list)

Next we have Mercury S. Initally, just degreased, relubed, made better spring guide. Also polished transfer port. At this point, it was doing 10.5 fpe. Shoots like a dream. Very fast and smooth, bugger all recoil, with one of the best triggers I've ever felt on a springer. One major tinkerer of rifles had a go with it and likened it to a "classic venom job". Since then, I've shortened the piston, degreased again and used the teflon grease. I've also refinished the tasty walnut stock. (pics dont do it justice). Not had chance to try it yet as I'm waiting for a new cocking lever from Mr Knibbs. (don't ask about the original one).

And now the jewel in the crown. FWB running boar. Immaculate condition. Has been tiddled about with by someone else . Degreased, relubed. Original springs replaced with a single POK spring. Now doing 8.5 pfe (bit better than the intended 6fpe). Superb trigger (like all FWB's). Cocking this gun is more like winding a quality wris****ch! Walnut ambi thumbhole stock has been refinished by moi. My fave rifle by a mile. Topped off with a Scmidtt and Bender 6x42. Did the FT course at PARC with it on Saturday. Went round STANDING. . First shot was 55yd standard kill. Down with the first shot! Just wish I fared as well on the rest of the course. Bit hard standing when that Milner bloke insists on putting out reduced kills at 50 yds. (Git).

The photos aren't as good as I'd have liked. The real things are much nicer.

HURRAH. FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT.
    ANYONE KNOW WHY IMAGESHACK IS PUTTING PICS DIRECTLY ONTO THE SITE, RATHER THAN JUST GIVING A LINK?
    Last edited by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH; 19-02-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    As a past standard Mercury owner, and as a new Mercury "S" owner, I really enjoyed these, so cheers matey, but as for the FWB, Wow !!! What a beauty... Bump back TTT for others to see and drool over too . ATB:

Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Very nice guns! I have an Airmasters FWB124 which is very similar to yours. Oh, and I have one or two similar BSA's as well...
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com