Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW97

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    drivR Guest

HW97

Hello, Well, I just ordered my first rifle, finally settled on a HW97K in .177 with a 3x9x40 scope. I hope I made the right decision, I've been thinking about it for the last 3 days. :]
    Pyramyd Air has them for $346 minus %10 so I couldn't pass it up. The model has the cocking lever and the barrel both flush. Now I cant wait for UPS, and I had to tell someone :]

TheShootist Guest
    I have the 97k in .20 it's an excellent rifle, you won't be dissapointed.

Tony

unqualifieduser Guest
    An excellent choice Jim - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Cheers,

Paul.
    p.s. I sent you another email but that bounced too. I think it's my email address that's being blocked by your mail server.

woody-som Guest
    excellent choice.

I bought my HW97 in 22 last month, and its great. can't find a single fault. no dieseling, smooth cocking, no spring twang, any thing else?

byhsu Guest
    driVr:

HOw much FPE did you get out of the gun? are you planning on putting a venom kit?

superb rifle mate!

drivR Guest

Hw97

Unfortuatly, the 97 I received had so many issues with it, I had to return it. The barrel seemed oversize (some pellets would fall out after being placed int he breach and the gun tipped up to close the cocking lever), the stock screws would constantly loosen, the small trigger screw would fall out on the bench, and accuracy was never constant - it would hit anywhere in a 1 1/2" circle at 20 yards with no type of pattern. It was also a sub 12fpe rifle and it was supposed to be FAC. JM also suggested to me that the breech seal was probably bad. I sent it back and exchanged it for a TX200MkIII and it was a joy to shoot. It would put 5 shots into 3/8-1/2" at 30 yards so easy. I couldn't stop laughing it was so much fun. Anyway, after about 60 or so shots, something broke - the cocking lever wouldn't return to parallel. The bear trap was jammed or somehting. So, that one went back also. I now have a new TX that I have shoot for the last few days. Its not as accurate as the last one, but I have ordered all the JM parts do do a tune. It's at about 16.25fpe and is shooting Beeman Trophys at about 950fps. But I have just purchased another hw97 - this one in .20 cal and am currently waiting for it. I can let you know how that one turns out.

you sure you got a genuine weihrauch Hill Cartridge rifle there mate? there are aot of copies out there.

Phil FH70 Guest
    I have had different spring and PCP rifles, but i have always kept hold of my 97 Centenary, i have just put a venom kit in, its made a great rifle even better. After shooting PCPs for a long time its nice to go back to shooting a springer.
    Phil FH70

Nice stock Phil I have not seen one in green before only blue, I wish I had that on my 97
    Carl .. AA S410K Nikko Sniper 10x42, AA TX200SR Simmons ProAir 4-12x40, Venom 97K Nikko Sniper 10x42.

wannabesniper2 Guest
    It is rather nice isn't it?

I also bought one of these Centenary's a couple of years ago. Was it supposed to have a knife with it? It didnt in any case. Mine came with a nice cammo gunbag and 3-9x40 golden antler Tascos. Paid £180-00 for it. The chap I bought it off was in very poor health indeed and hadnt put a tin of pellets through it. Condition is superb. Did they make 1000 of these? Will they be collectable one day? Anyone hazard a guess?

Phil FH70 Guest
    Yes they did come with a knife, there should be a picture below.
    In the adverts, it said limited to 500, but i don't know if that was 500 world wide or 500 for the UK. Its the same as anything, only worth what anyone is willing to pay, but everyone who has seen mine have liked it.
    Phil FH70

Thanks for that Phil. I'd go back and ask for the knife, but the guy has since passed on and I would imagine that the knife and shooting in general will be the last thing on his widow's mind. All the same, it's a beautiful gun. I posted here some time ago about my buying it. The chap who sold it it me was very forgetful and had actually cocked and loaded it some six months earlier and left it in the corner of his bedroom! It was way down on power, and I reluctantly stripped it, sized the piston head, relubed it and now it's back in top form, very smooth and accurate. One thing that I did notice and gave me a bit of a shock when I went to re-assemble is that there wastwo large spot welds at the end of the cylinder and below the "stock line". These had been left un-finished and protruded so much that they actually splayed the end of the stock wehn put together. I reluctantly ground them off (drastic maybe but the only way as I saw it, and something that should have been done at the factory). I was glad to see that they also got rid of those poorly made tubular steel spring guides! They were always the one part of every Weirauch that I felt let the whole rifle of that quality down.

Phil FH70 Guest
    Jonnyone if you ever want to fit a venom kit, the bad news is you will have to strip the rifle down as not all centenaries are the same (i was surprised at this) and venom will want to know the piston head size, choice of two.

Phil FH70