Thread: BSA Cobra Strike.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Thumbs up BSA Cobra Strike.

I wanted one these as a young lad but couldent afford one,well anyway I picked one of these up a a pretty good price,bit knocked about but shot very sweetly.Had it reblued and tuned and I am now halfway through refurbishing the stock,Ive taken all the paint off and doing my best to remove all the dinks,dents and scratches before brother inlaw paints it.
    This is the only one Ive ever seen and Ive no idea how many were made but I am sure it would be pretty collectable as I cannot imagin loads were made.

hi dave

yes it should be very collectable , if i remember right it was marketed
    by a well known airgun retailer but i can not recall which one.
    i have the standard 635 magnum on which it was based
    and these are very collectable.

lance

Are these the one's that were sprayed black ??

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Are these the one's that were sprayed black ??

Yes they were Mr B!

Exclamation

Double post!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    hi dave

yes it should be very collectable , if i remember right it was marketed
    by a well known airgun retailer but i can not recall which one.
    i have the standard 635 magnum on which it was based
    and these are very collectable.

lance
    Afternoon Larnce mate.I had a 635 Magnum too,cracking carbine.Had to sell it as I was broke at the time,really regret selling it too.It was a lovely shooter,very smooth.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Manchester Airguns were responsible for the Cobra Strike IIRC.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Ahh, Rings a bell now!

Thinks they were built on merseyside, was offered a mint, boxed .25 one a couple of years back.

They do crop up from time to time.

they are over here too

i am picking one up in a few weeks. i must admit i have a thing for BSA airguns and i need some thing to keep my .25 superstar company but it does have its little brothers hanging out with him now .177 and .22
    Aint no fun when the rabbits got the gun

Air rifles
    JOHN KNIBBS
    A The Cobra Strike is a modified version of the very successful BSA Mercury.

It was produced in limited numbers for the Cobra Arms Company.

Though it was manufactured to the usual BSA high quality, it was not a great success due to the limited number of pellets which could be used in it.

The distributors recommend Champion .25in 19.8 grain pellets but even these are very difficult to chamber due to the tightness of the bore.

In fact, the barrel was not a true .25in calibre but was .243.

The barrels were produced using the same rifling mandrel as was used to produce .243 Winchester centrefire rifles.

Cobra Arms claimed that the barrels had been modified to produce a silencing effect by counter boring the muzzle end.

In fact, this reduced the rifle barrel length by almost 50% but still retained the full length to assist the cocking effort.

You will find that Marksman 18 grain pellets will work best in your rifle as they are softer than other pellets, being pure lead.

The wooden stock is spray-painted a dull black colour and has no chequering.

The metalwork has a stove-enamelled finish as is the case with most of the Mercury air rifles made in 1985.

However, you will discover that with the correct pellets and all working parts in good order, the Strike will prove a very effective hunting rifle at short ranges of 30-35 yards.

Also;

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....bsa-635-magnum

Having now done some checking, I must apologise for my previous statement regarding the origins of the Cobra Strike Magnum.
    It was in fact produced for 'Cobra International Arms Ltd.', a trading name for 'L.J.Cammell Ltd.' of Wirral.
    It is a modified .25 BSA Mercury with a black painted beech stock, and some models had a Cobra transfer on the stock, whereas the one in my pics. has an embossed stock.
    Hopefully, this will clear up any confusion, and teach me to check for myself the accuracy of information received.

Correct information courtesy of 'The Airgun Book' by John Walter, 4th. edition.

BSA Cobra Strike

The barells were not counterbored to half their lenth more like an inch or so like most bsa springers. The 635 i had was unusual in that it did not have the bsa counterbore used to protect the crown i beleve . I've had the two rifles side by side for comparison as my freind owns a cobra strike & i used to own a 635 at the time. They both liked milbro rhino pellets btw.