Thread: Can you tell me about WW1 era BSA air rifles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

Benchstop,

If I were you, and was after my first pre war BSA underleaver (as this class of airgun is often collectively called) I would go for a post WW1 BSA "Standard" in No 2 Bore (.22). These were manufactured between 1920-21 and 1935ish . They are amongst the more common of the underleavers and are one of the longest they made at 45.5 inches long. They are sometimes called the "Giant" or "Sporting pattern" underleavers which differentiates them from the .177 version (manufactured at the same time) which was the Light or ladies pattern.This had a much shorter cylinder and was less powerful.
    A good servicable example should cost around £100 - £180 approx. This should get you a complete gun with all original parts. It would probably have around 50% original bluing remaining (although often the bluing has changed to an overall blueish/brownish patina). If feel that this is in keeping with the gun of that age and is an original "time earned" feature of older guns which I quite like.

That gun will probably need to be dismantled (easy !) and a new spring fitted, as well as a good clean up inside. By that I mean that over the years the grease and old lubricant turns to a kind of thick sludge and often encrusts parts like the spring, spring guide, and piston. this needs to be removed and replaced by a good moly grease. Examine the piston washer well as they often look whole when first removed from the gun, however when examined often fall to bit or have pellets, bits of metal, wire and other crap embedded in them or alternatively they are just falling to bits. I always replace the piston washer as a matter of course with all "new ones" that I buy, as a safety precaution.

You can try to tune the guns by using modern methods however I do not bother as I think they are fine as they are and it is accuracy over power that you are after anyway.

Finally once you have put the gun together again, it will need to be run in over a couple of tins of pellets, and then you will emerge the other side with something that should give you hours of pleasure and ought to last at least another 80-100years at least.. then you too will discover the joy of fireing these beauties.......

Lakey ( a borne BSA underleaver man )

Hello Folks,

How do you feel about Benchstops scope rail suggestion ?

I must admit I've considered the ethics of scoping one of these myself.

Though perhaps the whole point of these air rifles, is that they are from an era where the rifleman really had to consider his shot placement and sight picture, without the luxury of modern optics.

However if you were restoring a scrapper or parts gun for field use, perhaps if you used say, a set of period 1920's /30's Parker Hale steel bases and windage adjustable mounts with a suitable old quality 22mm tube scope, it would be ok.
    Failing that, one of the steel 50's / 60's 3/4 tube American Weaver scopes would also look fine and not be out of place.
    It would probably be cheaper than replacing the open sights if they were missing !

I certainly wouldn't consider drilling and tapping a good or even fair condition example, but on a bitza or parts gun, I think it would be ok, so long as you used suitable componants.

Best Regards Morgan

scopes?

The problem with mounting a scope of course, is that it's rather an irreversible step. To scope an excellent example would be frowned upon I know, but at the same time the gun has to be approaching that to make it worthwhile

Mike

Lakey, just to come back to the advice you and Silva gave to me earlier. Were the pre 14-18 rifles in .177 standard version or light pattern - I'm confused on this or how to tell. Is it just the length or were all pre WW1 Improved Model D rifles available in .177/.22 and 39" and 45" and standard and light etc...?

Basically I want to know how to be sure I have a 'full power' (as it was then) Improved Model D but would prefer .177 with 'pistol grip' stock - what length should it be?
    Last edited by felix gunner; 01-03-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Hi Felix,

According to John Knibbs is his excellent book " BSA and LINCOLN JEFFRIES AIR RIFLES - A Concise Illustrated History of their Development and Manufacture 1904-1918 " The first known Improved Model D rifle is number 19236 which left the factory on 6th May 1908. Production ended in 1918.

During that period Rifles in all three calibres were produced No.1 Bore (.177), No.2 Bore (.22) and No.3 Bore (.25), with the Improved Model D inscription.
    These rifles were produced in the following designations :-
    Light Pattern,Standard or Ordinary Pattern, Standard Sporting Pattern (451/2") and two very short models known as the Junior and Juvenile Patterns.
    Light Patterns were 39.5", Ordinary Patterns were 43.5", Sporting patterns were 45.5" and Junior Models were 34.25" only.

Hope that helps and if possible get the above book as probably all your questions will be answered within its pages.

All the best

Lakey

Felix,

If you want a No.1 Bore "full powered" Improved model D. The one you want would be an Standard Ordinary Pattern 43.5" Straight hand Stock model with a serial number between 65000 and 80000. these serial numbers are only approximate, however within these ranges you would be 98% sure of getting a rifle produced during the 1914 to 1918 period.
    The "Long" Sporting patterns were only produced in .22 and .25 only, however there were some (.25) No.3 Bore weapons produced in the light pattern length of 39.5" these were really underpowered and you would have probably been better off throwing a half brick

Lakey

As for putting a scope on a BSA pre war underleaver

I have just such a beast. I bought it some years ago in a local auction and it has a 4X32 scope complete with high mounts on a Webley Mk3 Type spot welded ramp.

In my humble opinion the bloke what done it should be burnt alive at the stake

(but I am only a moderate )

Lakey

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...

B.S.A Improved Model D

Hello chaps, just for information the rifle i have here s/no 21001 measures 45.5 inches, so i take from your post that it will be a `sporting`.....I have recently fallen in love with a `lightning xl`after being an airsporter man for years... but always had B.S.A at heart I do love tradition and continuity.. Mark
    Last edited by sparko; 02-03-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Hello Mark,

You have a great air rifle there and one of the most desirable early Bsa's.
    These were the first volume produced rifled examples, of what was then a new airgun calibre - .22 - Generally everything was .177 or .25 before this.
    Had the Germans invaded, I reckon it would have been a very unlucky Jerry that got shot with that !

Best Regards Morgan