Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you tell me about WW1 era BSA air rifles?

Felix,

If you want a No.1 Bore "full powered" Improved model D. The one you want would be an Standard Ordinary Pattern 43.5" Straight hand Stock model with a serial number between 65000 and 80000. these serial numbers are only approximate, however within these ranges you would be 98% sure of getting a rifle produced during the 1914 to 1918 period.
    The "Long" Sporting patterns were only produced in .22 and .25 only, however there were some (.25) No.3 Bore weapons produced in the light pattern length of 39.5" these were really underpowered and you would have probably been better off throwing a half brick

Lakey

As for putting a scope on a BSA pre war underleaver

I have just such a beast. I bought it some years ago in a local auction and it has a 4X32 scope complete with high mounts on a Webley Mk3 Type spot welded ramp.

In my humble opinion the bloke what done it should be burnt alive at the stake

(but I am only a moderate )

Lakey

scope rail

Point taken

Benchstop you have PM

Thanks Lakey, appreciated once again. I will look out for the book.

Finally, you mention:

If you want a No.1 Bore "full powered" Improved model D. The one you want would be an Standard Ordinary Pattern 43.5" Straight hand Stock model with a serial number between 65000 and 80000. these serial numbers are only approximate, however within these ranges you would be 98% sure of getting a rifle produced during the 1914 to 1918 period.

Was the pistol stock not a standard feature (option?) then?

Don't have one for sale do you?!!!

Felix,

You could have a choice - Pistol Grip stock or Straight hand (which was cheaper) I believe there are more pistol Grip stocks around than straight hand but I could be wrong?

As for one for sale? I don't at the moment but I will let you know if I locate an example of what you are looking for.
    All the best

Lakey

You're a gentleman. Just afraid by starting this topic and judging by some replies I might be competing with a few others now...

Lakey, you have pm.

Felix,

They made 80,000 of them, I am sure there should be enough to go around.

Your requirements are a little more detailed than most I would guess, but I will keep my eye's peeled.

lakey

sparko is offline One of Tiger Woods' lovers...

B.S.A Improved Model D

Hello chaps, just for information the rifle i have here s/no 21001 measures 45.5 inches, so i take from your post that it will be a `sporting`.....I have recently fallen in love with a `lightning xl`after being an airsporter man for years... but always had B.S.A at heart I do love tradition and continuity.. Mark
    Last edited by sparko; 02-03-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Hello Mark,

You have a great air rifle there and one of the most desirable early Bsa's.
    These were the first volume produced rifled examples, of what was then a new airgun calibre - .22 - Generally everything was .177 or .25 before this.
    Had the Germans invaded, I reckon it would have been a very unlucky Jerry that got shot with that !

Best Regards Morgan

Anyone got any thoughts on the merits of .22 vs .177 on rifles of this era (power/accuracy/characteristics/pellet drop etc)? I have little experience in this area...
    Last edited by felix gunner; 03-03-2007 at 06:28 PM.