Thread: BSA Model "A" Underleaver in .177

BSA Model "A" Underleaver in .177

I am posting this for a club member who does not have internet. Gun numbered A2154 made 1937. In good condition and full working order. Only 3939 made of this model and probably many fewer in .177. Rear sight repaired at some point in the life of the gun. Has the embossed "BSA" on the stock.

Asking £220, interested collectors phone Alec on 01933 6739322

Alec also has a Webley Osprey in .22, vgc, asking £85.

Mike95 Osprey now SOLD...BSA SOLD , pending cheque.

Last edited by Mike95; 06-03-2007 at 09:47 AM.

Hi MIKE,
    you have pm
    TIM
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows...

Mike 95,

According to John Knibb's book " The Golden Century " published in 2005, There were only 770 of the "A Prefix" No.1 pattern guns produced between 1936 and the war. The last one was dispatched in 1945. This info is taken from examination of the BSA legers.

It is a commonly held mis-conception that more were made, however the "A patterns" as they are called are a pretty rare variant. They were a replacement for the "L" or ladies pattern which was produced between 1919 and 1936.

Lakey

BSA Model A

very interesting info...possibly Knibbs is referring to the Model A in .177?
    My Hiller book states 3939 made of the Model A. I would have guessed that the .177 would be in the minority.

So who wants this very rare model?

I am collecting the gun tonight from the club member selling it, so that I can get some more pics.

Mike95

BSA Model A

I have just dug out an article from "Guns Review" dated Feb 1978 written by PJ Colman. When discussing the Model A he says "A few numbers were used up to No 3939 which was dispatched on 8.6.1939." It seems therefore that Lakey is correct in confirming the rarity of this model.

Mike95

Hi Mike,

BSA redesigned their air rifle range in the early 30's and launched the new range in a bout 1935-36. However due to economic recession and the fact that the newly redesigned range were not that different from the older range they did not sell too well. So, all the 1936-1939ish range of guns are not that common when compared to the earlier standards.

Guns with the prefix C,A and T fall into these dates,also they made the very new breakdown pattern (barrel cocker) at the same time. Out of all those, by far the rarest is the A pattern ones however they did not number them in sequence, so whilst you may well find A patterns with four digit serial numbers they only apparantly made 770 of them. All but one were dispatched by the out break of WWII, with one only going out in 1945.

All this info is in John Knibb's book " The Golden Century " which is well worth hunting out. As it is a great read..

Lakey

Oh and they only made "A" and "C" patterns in .177. The .22 one was the "T" pattern.

Lakey

BSA Model A

Any offers at all? Will go back into Alex's wooden chest if not sold!

Mike95