Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Geometric puzzlement

Breaking news..

Right, so I got that little extra time and spent today with a small file.....

The Viper now sits very handsomely in its new B Square mounts atop the HW100.

A couple of my own tips for anyone else contemplating these things.
    1. Once you have filed the holes to allow clearance for the cap screws to bite cleanly into the bottom of the mount, fit the mounts to the scope first, not the rifle. Its a fiddly job and being able to hold the scope made it easier.

2. Keep everything loosened and slide the scope, on the mounts, carefully onto the dove tail. Any doubts about loosness or security of fit will vanish as you begin tightening.

3. Tighten the mounts onto the dovetail/rail first, then tighten the caps, that will set the mount tubes at your pre selected angle and lastly, nip the windage grub screws, this clamps what I earlier thought was a thread tolerance problem.

A couple of issues with these mounts.

1. Filing the cap holes will set the screws 'off centre' so they wont sit correctly in the countersink and if your analy perfectionist like me, you wont like how this looks.

2. Zeroing the scope using the mounts MUST now entail removal of the scope along with mounts from the dovetail/rail for each adjustment. lengthy, but by the look of things it will be worth the effort and should be a one off.

Ill let you know how they zero when I get done at Petes farm on tuesday if you like.

Chairgun is suggesting an optimum zero of 40 yards for the height of the LOS above the bore centre so Im going to give it a go

Cheers
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    2. Zeroing the scope using the mounts MUST now entail removal of the scope along with mounts from the dovetail/rail for each adjustment. lengthy, but by the look of things it will be worth the effort and should be a one off.

Cheers
    Barry

Any chance of some photo's?

Just got the Sportsmatch adjustables. Will do piccy tomorrow.
    To be good, one must do good.

Doesnt seem to be an option to upload them. They are only phone pics but your welcome if I can mail em to you.

Cheers

Barry

Doesnt seem to be an option to upload them. They are only phone pics but your welcome if I can mail em to you.

Cheers

Barry

PM sent.

Summary

Well I dont know what to say. just spent best part of three hours on an indoor range adjusting these things to a zero. I managed to get just about spot on at 35yds without even touching the scope turrets. Three shots through the same hole.

Next shot, three inches left, next shot three inches left and one inch up.

I fired two full charges of the HW (around two hundred shots) and didnt achieve any consistency at all.

These things proved impossible to zero. Far too many moving parts and to many interdependant parts, knock the scope and zero shifts, adjust one grub screw by a tiny amount and everything else moves.

In conclusion.....UTTER RUBBISH imo

BKL here I come

BKL here I come

I will guarantee the Sportsmatch will do the job.

Will do a photo session with them tomorrow, and send them to you to 'test'.

Not in the same league.

Good news and a large helping of humble pie for me.

Decided to persevere and refitted the B Sqaure mounts......every thing else is finished, a nice accessory rail let into the (now stripped and oiled) forestock to mount my nice newly fashioned...walnut... palm riser.

Spent ten minutes at the indoor range and achieved a windage zero within ten minutes with no adjustment to the windage turret on the scope. Elevation was just 24 eight'th MOA clicks out so dialed that, bang on zero, picked the gun up byt the scope, slapped it around a little, rechecked and still bang on.

So I take it all back

Still say it should be easier though, but thats probably just me and my skill levels. Trick seems to be keep all adjustments very tiny indeed and all grub screws quite tight.

Will try and post pics later

All done http://suprfile.com/src/1/75pige0/Palm Riser.jpg
    Last edited by Barry; 07-05-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Posting pic