Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where to start?

tomgriffin is offline I just have the empty tin...
    Cheers for your reply.........i think im better off collecting pellets as the government are banning mail order guns from the 7th of october arent they? ......but you can order pellets and other accessories for your gun

cheers.....tom griffin
    If you choke a smurf, what colour does it turn?
    We Are Tottenham! Super Tottenham! We Are Tottenham From The Lane!

mail order guns are usually new so it wouldnt apply to private collections.

looks for eley wasp before the sell off,bsa pylarms from the 80's,other bsa lead like the excalibur,silver shadow...cant recall the other 2!

sheriden cat slugs are quite old too

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    mail order guns are usually new so it wouldnt apply to private collections.

looks for eley wasp before the sell off,bsa pylarms from the 80's,other bsa lead like the excalibur,silver shadow...cant recall the other 2!

sheriden cat slugs are quite old too
    Ok cheers for your help mate

I was planning on buying "todays" pellets and keep them unopened for about 20 years and see there value

Im sure i will buy some old pellets once my collection gets going

Tom I think you're right to give it some thought before you begin, instead of drifting into becoming a collector without a clear objective. This can end up very expensive.

If cash is likely to be tight for some time, keep it narrow i.e. just collect Webley pellets, or empty tins, or British pellets, or tins made before 1990, rather than anything and everything. Once you've got them all, then move onto something else. That's my advice. I just wish I'd followed it myself.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Tom I think you're right to give it some thought before you begin, instead of drifting into becoming a collector without a clear objective. This can end up very expensive.

If cash is likely to be tight for some time, keep it narrow i.e. just collect Webley pellets, or empty tins, or British pellets, or tins made before 1990, rather than anything and everything. Once you've got them all, then move onto something else. That's my advice. I just wish I'd followed it myself.

Money isnt really tight, but it would be cheaper in the long run to collect pellets than air rifles and i think that you get more money back from pellets than air rifles aswell

Say for instance a decent airsporter is £100, well from 100 quid i could get around 15-20tins of various pellets and im sure in years to come the pellets will be worth more than an airsporter

Quote Originally Posted by tomgriffin View Post
    Say for instance a decent airsporter is £100, well from 100 quid i could get around 15-20tins of various pellets and im sure in years to come the pellets will be worth more than an airsporter
    It sounds like you're thinking more like an investor than a collector (who just pretends to be an investor).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    It sounds like you're thinking more like an investor than a collector (who just pretends to be an investor).
    Well when i die i dont want my grandkids and kids (if i have any) to be left with old guns that arent worth jack $hite money wise, i would rather they sell the pellets and buy what they like with the cash

Plus i dont know many people who collect pellets and i would rather spent £5 on a tin of pellets than say £100 a time on a rifle

Strange, I have collected a shed load of pistols (well actually a study load) but of late, being light in funds, have been buying accessories (eg pellets). Would never have thought of doing the accessories before having some of the things that fire them!
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    Strange, I have collected a shed load of pistols (well actually a study load) but of late, being light in funds, have been buying accessories (eg pellets). Would never have thought of doing the accessories before having some of the things that fire them!
    I have all the guns i need falcon lighthunter, s200 possibly a daystate merlyn when funds permit

I thought it would be something from the norm and its a lot cheaper than collecting guns

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    If you're going to collect, you should stick to things that really float your boat. I have a 'rather enthusiastic' collection of airguns, and I love every one of them. It's funny - I have a firearms certificate, and yet when I go into a gun shop, I admire the rifles and shotties, but that's it - they leave me cold. I use them as tools, and no more. If I should catch a glimpse of some airguns in the corner though, my pulse goes up and I can't get over to them fast enough!

Luckily my other half lives ten miles up the road, so I don't have to worry about the fact that she hates guns...
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    If you're going to collect, you should stick to things that really float your boat.
    I dont think they float my boat, but when i go to a gunshop i instinctively pick up a tin of my usual pellets and thought that this would be pretty cool having a massive collection of various pellets.......and thats why i would like to start collecting

Well, pistols 'float my boat' (and regardless of funds I am chasing another couple) and I agree, when you look, touch, and occassionally fire some piece of steel that gets you going, maybe one you have not looked at for years - you are a (fanatic) collector!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS FAC and Shotgun cert but still airpistols do it for me more (after they took away my practical pistols that is - 9mm auto and .357 revolver)
    Last edited by lodmoor; 27-03-2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling! and FAC notes.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

the choice is wide for this hobby,to name a few possibilitys.airsporters,webley pistols[specialize here range is huge,webley air rifles,german stuff,and endless accesories pellets etc,dont make the mistake a lot of mates of mine have commited is to just collect without focus it just leads to draws full of gear with no begining or end .happy shopping!

Buy things that you enjoy.
    That way you will never regret you purchase, even if they never increase in value you will have had the pleasure of ownership.
    If they later increase in value that is a bonus.
    That has always been my philosophy.

A thread to give Tom inspiration for his pellet tin collection.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery