Thread: Webley Mk 3 - Sights & performance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I first started with a MKIII in .22 and have one now fitted with a Tasco 1.75? x40, a classic combo circa 1979. They group fine out to 20m or so but I've never had one that could compare to the accuracy of a HW or Sport. Sorry, just don't think much of them. But for their original purpose of shooting with open sights around the farmyard they do the job fine; not that I do that anymore as I use more modern stuff.

At open sight ranges they are as good as anything.

Does anyone know the price of the MK3 compared to an Airsporter when introduced.

Don't get me wrong I own a couple of MK 3's and a couple of early Airsporters and love them to bits. The thing is when I start comparing the two makes side by side and inside out the Webley looks a bit sad compared to the Airsporter. I'm not calling the MK3 as I think they're a very well made gun and should last forever, it's just that the Airsporter was a bit more technically advanced, hence the question on pricing.

All the best Mick

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    it's just that the Airsporter was a bit more technically advanced
    How? I can understand that it looked a little more modern, particularly in the latter marks but how was it more technically advanced?
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    How? I can understand that it looked a little more modern, particularly in the latter marks but how was it more technically advanced?
    Hi Sam

Self opening loading tap.
    Underlever within the woodwork.
    Longer underlever for less effort on the cocking stroke.
    Conical headed piston to allow a shorter transfer port to be used.
    New trigger design compared to the Lincoln pattern.

Just bits and bobs like that.

All the best Mick

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Does anyone know the price of the MK3 compared to an Airsporter when introduced.all the best Mick
    HI Mick.......In 1958, in the same Parker Hale Catalogue, The mark 3 was £15.5.6d, and the Airsporter / Club Airsporter (both same price!) was £16.11.8d

Mark3

Airsporter(s)

regards, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    HI Mick.......In 1958, in the same Parker Hale Catalogue, The mark 3 was £15.5.6d, and the Airsporter / Club Airsporter (both same price!) was £16.11.8d

Mark3

Airsporter(s)

regards, Ed
    Cheers Ed

I think I'd have spent the extra 14 shilling and tuppence and had the Airsporter then.

The Webley MK3 being a copy of a copy of a Lincoln Jeffries, the Airsporter being an improved Lincoln Jeffries.

Thanks again

All the best Mick