Thread: Webley Mk 3 - Sights & performance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    I bought my Mk3 from a gun shop a few years ago, still going strong. When I bought it, it was firing at 1000fps, but I'm sure that must have decreased over the years. Still incredibly accurate and powerful. I've stuck with the stock sight, no scope needed for this beauty. With me at the trigger, so down to my mistakes, it hit a 50p piece from 100ft 3/5 times prone, with no gizmos at all. It's a fantastic rifle and you should definetly keep it. Maybe you ought to get the fps checked out for sure before you start hunting with it, just to make sure it is fast enough to be humane, also use some good pentraters.
    Smiths Gas Air and Spring guns quotes the Mk3 as about 600fps in .177 so 1000 seems way too high. In my experience they are about the same power as an Airsporter or Club, at around 9 or 10 ft lbs. I spent many years shooting rabbits quite effectively with that sort of power. Its a matter of knowing where the pellet will go and putting it in the right place!
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Webley MkIII is only suitable for close-range hunting work, less than 20 yards. It rarely makes more than 9 ft/lbs and the accuracy is really not up to modern standards, a factor compounded by the inability to fit a proper scope. It is beautifully made however, so keep it as a plinker/collector's item.

Buy an Weihrauch HW95 or similar if you want a hunter, and a decent scope.