Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Mk 3 - Sights & performance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

webley mk3

hi dumdum
    just reading your story, on the webley mk3.
    i bought my first mk3 in 1973,
    from whitton guns and tackle shop.
    i shot many a rabbit with mine, open sighted and scoped.
    around the hanworth waterboard ,hampton rugby fields boardering kempton park area's.
    i brought a secondhand one, in early 2010 to rekindle my youth.
    to my absolute amazement , this one is open sighted .
    i shot spinners set at 45yds, at our club two pence piece size .22 mk3 .
    fantastic gun sit, lovely in the hand and shoulder.
    arhhh i think i'm going for a plink now .
    regards webleymk1

Nearly 40 years ago I worked in a shop that sold both the Mk3 and the Airsporter.

The Mk3 was a far higher quality gun, the fit and finish as really first class.

I bought a MKIII new 47 years ago. Still have it. At the time it was a toss up between it and the Airsporter. Almost 50 years on I now own some MKI Airsporters and frankly I am sorry that I chose fit and finish over looks and performance. Still love my MKIII but the BSA wins the day for me.
    Barry (Ex London Boy)

Web mk 111

Ill say this, before the precharged and some other top rifles people hunted bunny with these oldies, if your confident of a kill shot, no worries, I used an old relum, and it was ample, now on the subject of Webley, I have a mk 111, I need a loading tap, and the screws for both sides, also the front stock screws, and a rear sight, can any help me, can email me on mentalcombat01@gmail.com, also need a rear steel sight for a tornado. and maybe a spring guide for a rel telly. need some low prices not like the rip offfs from the suppliers, like 5 quid for a bloody screw

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    I bought my Mk3 from a gun shop a few years ago, still going strong. When I bought it, it was firing at 1000fps, but I'm sure that must have decreased over the years. Still incredibly accurate and powerful. I've stuck with the stock sight, no scope needed for this beauty. With me at the trigger, so down to my mistakes, it hit a 50p piece from 100ft 3/5 times prone, with no gizmos at all. It's a fantastic rifle and you should definetly keep it. Maybe you ought to get the fps checked out for sure before you start hunting with it, just to make sure it is fast enough to be humane, also use some good pentraters.
    Smiths Gas Air and Spring guns quotes the Mk3 as about 600fps in .177 so 1000 seems way too high. In my experience they are about the same power as an Airsporter or Club, at around 9 or 10 ft lbs. I spent many years shooting rabbits quite effectively with that sort of power. Its a matter of knowing where the pellet will go and putting it in the right place!
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Webley MkIII is only suitable for close-range hunting work, less than 20 yards. It rarely makes more than 9 ft/lbs and the accuracy is really not up to modern standards, a factor compounded by the inability to fit a proper scope. It is beautifully made however, so keep it as a plinker/collector's item.

Buy an Weihrauch HW95 or similar if you want a hunter, and a decent scope.