Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Mk 3 - Sights & performance

edbear2 Guest
    Yup, I would agree with geds figures, unless the gun had an acetone spray bar inside or was firing zaps or cleaning pellets 1000fps does seem high!....as an aside on dieselling...I seem to remember all the full size guns (airsporter/mk111 pre war bsa's) that I owned or shot in the 1970's, smelling a bit of burnt oil!....not the proper bang and flash effect you get from a warm gun/big spring combo , but they normally gave a bit of smoke from the breech/barrel when reloading...in the 70's I grew up in a haze of 3 in one!!.......in fact in the original bsa booklet you got with the prewars, the book states "after each session, fill the loading tap with oil, close and cock the gun, then fire to oil the bore and piston"..not sure what reaction you would get at a club if you tried this, but so many have survived in GWO that maybe its a good method to preserve the leather washers and bore!!
    Last edited by edbear2; 16-11-2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling (again!!)

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Yup, I would agree with geds figures, unless the gun had an acetone spray bar inside or was firing zaps or cleaning pellets 1000fps does seem high!....as an aside on dieselling...I seem to remember all the full size guns (airsporter/mk111 pre war bsa's) that I owned or shot in the 1970's, smelling a bit of burnt oil!....not the proper bang and flash effect you get from a warm gun/big spring combo , but they normally gave a bit of smoke from the breech/barrel when reloading...in the 70's I grew up in a haze of 3 in one!!.......in fact in the original bsa booklet you got with the prewars, the book states "after each session, fill the loading tap with oil, close and cock the gun, then fire to oil the bore and piston"..not sure what reaction you would get at a club if you tried this, but so many have survived in GWO that maybe its a good method to preserve the leather washers and bore!!

Hiya mate, Your right !!! I only replied because of the outrageous performance figures quoted, !
    If the Information being supplied is ( At the very worse ) Is Incorrect, Where does that leave us, & Yes they do smoke,
    Cheers, ged,

I first started with a MKIII in .22 and have one now fitted with a Tasco 1.75? x40, a classic combo circa 1979. They group fine out to 20m or so but I've never had one that could compare to the accuracy of a HW or Sport. Sorry, just don't think much of them. But for their original purpose of shooting with open sights around the farmyard they do the job fine; not that I do that anymore as I use more modern stuff.

At open sight ranges they are as good as anything.

Does anyone know the price of the MK3 compared to an Airsporter when introduced.

Don't get me wrong I own a couple of MK 3's and a couple of early Airsporters and love them to bits. The thing is when I start comparing the two makes side by side and inside out the Webley looks a bit sad compared to the Airsporter. I'm not calling the MK3 as I think they're a very well made gun and should last forever, it's just that the Airsporter was a bit more technically advanced, hence the question on pricing.

All the best Mick

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    it's just that the Airsporter was a bit more technically advanced
    How? I can understand that it looked a little more modern, particularly in the latter marks but how was it more technically advanced?
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    How? I can understand that it looked a little more modern, particularly in the latter marks but how was it more technically advanced?
    Hi Sam

Self opening loading tap.
    Underlever within the woodwork.
    Longer underlever for less effort on the cocking stroke.
    Conical headed piston to allow a shorter transfer port to be used.
    New trigger design compared to the Lincoln pattern.

Just bits and bobs like that.

All the best Mick

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    I bought my Mk3 from a gun shop a few years ago, still going strong. When I bought it, it was firing at 1000fps, but I'm sure that must have decreased over the years. Still incredibly accurate and powerful. I've stuck with the stock sight, no scope needed for this beauty. With me at the trigger, so down to my mistakes, it hit a 50p piece from 100ft 3/5 times prone, with no gizmos at all. It's a fantastic rifle and you should definetly keep it. Maybe you ought to get the fps checked out for sure before you start hunting with it, just to make sure it is fast enough to be humane, also use some good pentraters.
    Smiths Gas Air and Spring guns quotes the Mk3 as about 600fps in .177 so 1000 seems way too high. In my experience they are about the same power as an Airsporter or Club, at around 9 or 10 ft lbs. I spent many years shooting rabbits quite effectively with that sort of power. Its a matter of knowing where the pellet will go and putting it in the right place!
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Webley MkIII is only suitable for close-range hunting work, less than 20 yards. It rarely makes more than 9 ft/lbs and the accuracy is really not up to modern standards, a factor compounded by the inability to fit a proper scope. It is beautifully made however, so keep it as a plinker/collector's item.

Buy an Weihrauch HW95 or similar if you want a hunter, and a decent scope.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Does anyone know the price of the MK3 compared to an Airsporter when introduced.all the best Mick
    HI Mick.......In 1958, in the same Parker Hale Catalogue, The mark 3 was £15.5.6d, and the Airsporter / Club Airsporter (both same price!) was £16.11.8d

Mark3

Airsporter(s)

regards, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    HI Mick.......In 1958, in the same Parker Hale Catalogue, The mark 3 was £15.5.6d, and the Airsporter / Club Airsporter (both same price!) was £16.11.8d

Mark3

Airsporter(s)

regards, Ed
    Cheers Ed

I think I'd have spent the extra 14 shilling and tuppence and had the Airsporter then.

The Webley MK3 being a copy of a copy of a Lincoln Jeffries, the Airsporter being an improved Lincoln Jeffries.

Thanks again

All the best Mick

webley mk3

hi dumdum
    just reading your story, on the webley mk3.
    i bought my first mk3 in 1973,
    from whitton guns and tackle shop.
    i shot many a rabbit with mine, open sighted and scoped.
    around the hanworth waterboard ,hampton rugby fields boardering kempton park area's.
    i brought a secondhand one, in early 2010 to rekindle my youth.
    to my absolute amazement , this one is open sighted .
    i shot spinners set at 45yds, at our club two pence piece size .22 mk3 .
    fantastic gun sit, lovely in the hand and shoulder.
    arhhh i think i'm going for a plink now .
    regards webleymk1

Nearly 40 years ago I worked in a shop that sold both the Mk3 and the Airsporter.

The Mk3 was a far higher quality gun, the fit and finish as really first class.

I bought a MKIII new 47 years ago. Still have it. At the time it was a toss up between it and the Airsporter. Almost 50 years on I now own some MKI Airsporters and frankly I am sorry that I chose fit and finish over looks and performance. Still love my MKIII but the BSA wins the day for me.
    Barry (Ex London Boy)

I love my Webley Mk3 rifles, I also love my airsporters

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Webley mark 3

I have had 5 of this model at one time, now down to 2!! They were all different, paricularly the fit of the tap, and I found the best way of obtaining consistency was to replace the leather piston seal with a home turned PTFE piston seal....after lubing with modern materials, the power would go straight to 9+ ft/lbs after half a dozen shots and stay there. A new leather washer took a lot of bedding in.

Lovely old guns... a copy of a pre war Diana, which in turn was a copy of a BSA, according to my info! A 29 year production run...not bad, but not really a serious hunting rifle past 25 yards.

Mike95