Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30mm 4200 6-24 x 50 on it's way

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    What's the catch?
    It's quite expensive!
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    It's quite expensive!
    How much did you pay for yours?

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Well it has now been tested for a day and night on a 243.

The scope itself is extremely compact at 13 1/4" 1ong and a poultry 25 oz in weight. It feels heavier as the scope is short.
    The build quality is again very good indeed and all feels solid in every respect.
    The model comes with quite large target turrets (refer to Guesty pics).
    The adjustment seem to be about 5mm per click from what I could work out. The adjustments are probably the most positive I have ever used and there is absolutely no play or slack in them at all. They performed very well and returned to zero from a full rotation in each direction for azimuth and elevation.
    This model also has a fast focus eye bell adjustment that I do think is an improvement on the finer version on the other models. I managed to get everything in focus with the reticule crisp from 25 yards out.

The reticule again is mildot (true at 12 mag) (not my preference, but very popular) and one of the only things I can critisise is that it is a wire retcule as opposed to etched. The only area this becomes a problem is in bright sunlight (from the side or behind) you get a bit of flare on the reticule. This is probably unfair as most scopes have the wire type in place of the etched type. The reticule itself is very well finished with no blobs or fat/thin bits.

As with the 1" version, the actual FOV is again narrow, however wider than most 1" 40mm scopes. The FOV is not a restriction though and it accounted for a fox at 200 yards in the lamp with no aquisision issues at all. I would say the FOV was only slightly narrower than the 4.5 - 14.5 x 44 Zeiss at 10 mag.
    In other words, nothing to worry about really.
    I will make some measurements on Range day #2.

The scope being short in length does have a disadvantage as with the Nikon scopes (old version) where some actions (Fullbore) will not allow it to be mounted as it has only 2.5" of tube either side of the turret. Sako's & Weatherby is a no go, but SA 700s and the Nesika were fine. This issue is not helped by the 8-9 cm eye relief as the scope has to be further back in the saddle.

As a 4200, the optics were boringly very good indeed and very bright in the day (it was a bright day) and even with the sun abot 60 degrees above the target it was very visible. Some scopes tend to wash out here, but the Bushnell was pretty good. The PX snaps targets in out to 160 yards well and would easily differentiate between 100 and 112 yards. In the lamp, it shows a marked improvement on the 1" version and gave a very good sight picture and wide enough to allow target aquision at 50 yards on 12 mag. This was where the 1" version gave me problems.

All in all, the first test was very positive and the only real issue being the mounting length, the rest being my bent on what I like.

I like it a lot
    I am considering the 4200 but it has been said that "Sako's & Weatherby is a no go"
    My U.K. Howa 1500 is a U.S.A. Weatherby Vanguard. Does this mean I miss out on this fine scope ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    I am considering the 4200 but it has been said that "Sako's & Weatherby is a no go"
    My U.K. Howa 1500 is a U.S.A. Weatherby Vanguard. Does this mean I miss out on this fine scope ?
    No.
    Weatherby MKV and Sako have similar distances to the mount areas. The Howa/Weatherby and Remmy 700 actions will easily work with the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    No.
    Weatherby MKV and Sako have similar distances to the mount areas. The Howa/Weatherby and Remmy 700 actions will easily work with the scope.
    Thanks Blue.
    Off to Bisley today to try my friends Howa but it's a done deal.
    Howa 1500 and Elite 4200 here I come.
    Thanks again.