Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30mm 4200 6-24 x 50 on it's way

30mm 4200 6-24 x 50 on it's way

Grubby mitts waiting.

I have the new 4200 6-24 x 50 side PX (30mm tube) jobbie on it's way from Canada.
    I am hoping that this one will address the niggles that the current 6-24 gives me.
    The price is not much more than the same as the 6-24 x 40 so daft dosh really.

I will post a review as soon as I have my hands on it.

i have a couple on there way as well blue.

how much did you get em for???

Quote Originally Posted by sad lad mk2 View Post
    i have a couple on there way as well blue.

how much did you get em for???
    Not a lot..
    Bit cocerned now as the serial number is wrong. I may have just bought Tasco 6-24 x 50mm jobbies.
    The price is only a tincy bit more than the 6-24x40 Side PX model.

Any news of a 8/32 mag ?
    Gary
    ISP Airstream mk3 March F 2.5/25mml. Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 leupold 20/50 Steyr 2014 hft March x 5/50 MTR3 ISP Airstream MK3 March x 8-80 silver, fx impact m3 element helix Ripley AR4 blue Burris 8/32 Steyr 2014 hot all .177

Guesty Guest
    Images of the new 6-24x50 here.

Where Are You Getting The Scopes From
    "RACING IS LIFE.ANYTHING BEFORE OR AFTER IS JUST WAITING" Seve McQueen

Most US dealers will have them soon I should think. At present only a few have them available.
    With import duty and VAT etc, they should still be below the £400 mark.

Guesty Guest
    God, and a what a lovely scope it is!
    Looking forward to mounting it, but be aware that unlike the 1" tube version it is pretty heavy at 25oz.

Well it has now been tested for a day and night on a 243.

The scope itself is extremely compact at 13 1/4" 1ong and a poultry 25 oz in weight. It feels heavier as the scope is short.
    The build quality is again very good indeed and all feels solid in every respect.
    The model comes with quite large target turrets (refer to Guesty pics).
    The adjustment seem to be about 5mm per click from what I could work out. The adjustments are probably the most positive I have ever used and there is absolutely no play or slack in them at all. They performed very well and returned to zero from a full rotation in each direction for azimuth and elevation.
    This model also has a fast focus eye bell adjustment that I do think is an improvement on the finer version on the other models. I managed to get everything in focus with the reticule crisp from 25 yards out.

The reticule again is mildot (true at 12 mag) (not my preference, but very popular) and one of the only things I can critisise is that it is a wire retcule as opposed to etched. The only area this becomes a problem is in bright sunlight (from the side or behind) you get a bit of flare on the reticule. This is probably unfair as most scopes have the wire type in place of the etched type. The reticule itself is very well finished with no blobs or fat/thin bits.

As with the 1" version, the actual FOV is again narrow, however wider than most 1" 40mm scopes. The FOV is not a restriction though and it accounted for a fox at 200 yards in the lamp with no aquisision issues at all. I would say the FOV was only slightly narrower than the 4.5 - 14.5 x 44 Zeiss at 10 mag.
    In other words, nothing to worry about really.
    I will make some measurements on Range day #2.

The scope being short in length does have a disadvantage as with the Nikon scopes (old version) where some actions (Fullbore) will not allow it to be mounted as it has only 2.5" of tube either side of the turret. Sako's & Weatherby is a no go, but SA 700s and the Nesika were fine. This issue is not helped by the 8-9 cm eye relief as the scope has to be further back in the saddle.

As a 4200, the optics were boringly very good indeed and very bright in the day (it was a bright day) and even with the sun abot 60 degrees above the target it was very visible. Some scopes tend to wash out here, but the Bushnell was pretty good. The PX snaps targets in out to 160 yards well and would easily differentiate between 100 and 112 yards. In the lamp, it shows a marked improvement on the 1" version and gave a very good sight picture and wide enough to allow target aquision at 50 yards on 12 mag. This was where the 1" version gave me problems.

All in all, the first test was very positive and the only real issue being the mounting length, the rest being my bent on what I like.

I like it a lot

Thanks for the quick heads up Blue. This is significantly more favourable than your feelings regarding the smaller 40mm objective version.

The turrets look the same as those on my 3200 10x40. I initially thought their size would prevent my Atom Tactical lamp (with a supadoopa battery pack) from fitting to the scope but there is just enough room if it's mounted fully forwards with the front scope mount virtually touching the turret housing.

I'm not too sure if your saying this won't fit ANY Sako? My 10x40 has 2.6" either side of the turrets and fits just nice on my Quad. I'm hoping the 6-24x50 fits as well

I don't know the correct term for this but I need to get my eye in a vary precise position to get a "full" image through the 3200 - have you noticed any of that please?
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Guesty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    SNIP

I'm not too sure if your saying this won't fit ANY Sako? My 10x40 has 2.6" either side of the turrets and fits just nice on my Quad. I'm hoping the 6-24x50 fits as well

SNIP

The Bushnell will fit some Sakos, but just not my 75 III with Sako short action bases. This is because when it is positioned to have the correct eye relief, the front mount/ring would interfere with the objective. Long action bases might fix the problem, but even then it might be close.
    Here's an image to explain.
    The image shows that there isn't much overlap of the front tube over the front mount rail.
    Last edited by Guesty; 08-04-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    d fits just nice on my Quad. I'm hoping the 6-24x50 fits as well

I don't know the correct term for this but I need to get my eye in a vary precise position to get a "full" image through the 3200 - have you noticed any of that please?

I did not find it that fussy to be honest, less than the 40mm version and far less than my Scopechief.

Hello Blue,

Thanks for sharing your findings. Could you tell us the minimum focus distance on that scope please? 25yds? I suppose 10yds would be too much to hope for... But that would make for a vastly superior airgun scope if it'll do 10yds...

Thanks,

Scott in CO

Thanks for the explananatory photo Guesty - I think most of my confusion stems from not knowing the definition of "fullbore" - Perhaps I ought to ask on a separate thread.

I see in that photo that the loading chamber/ejection port? (strewth I dont know the name of that either!) is longer than my Quad to account for longer ammunition.

Thanks again Blue.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Is this scope available in the UK yet, and if so how much does it cost?
    It sounds perfect for airgun to to fullbore with close focus, mildots and target turrets. What's the catch?