Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earliest Bsa / lincoln Jeffries type rifle / lowest serial number known ?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Spillane View Post
    Thanks for that Lakey still a bit curious about the pair as the two letter prefix was on the .177. the .22 was S422 serial number. It may well be that they are both hybridised from various parts. Intesresting to search out the history of them without having any monetary interest. I bet they could tell a tale or two The .177 appeared to have a double wound spring, we could not get that one to latch when cocking. The .22 cocked and fired at around 10.5ft lbs.
    Yes those serial numbers would be correct. The .22 would be a very early BSA "Standard" (Long or sporting pattern) made in 1919. I would think it would have a two hole trigger block (meaning that the factory set the trigger pull which was non-adjustable) If you look where the rear of the trigger guard touches the underside of the stock, you should be able to make out a small stamp in the woodwork. In the centre of this triangle there would have been the trigger weight stamped in (eg 4LB)
    The second .177 is the "Club Standard" which was a full length Target gun. They were made at the same time as the "Standards" so to differentiate production they added the second prefix letter 'C' so they became 'CS' models. Yours would have been made anytime from around 1921 to 1933ish.

Both guns sound right to me. Both would have cost the equivalent of at least 4 weeks adult wages when bought.

Lakey

hi i have bsa s33324 in mint condition happiness is

bsa lowest number

Hi, l have lincon jefferies. se/no 148 with H the lincon air rifle patent.manufactured by the bsa col birmingham. stamped on the air chamber, it is from the Ist batch. Micky

If the Gun is an 'H' The Lincoln standard Lenght .177, then that serial number would put it in the first batch manufactured in mid 1905. That was before the first batch of BSA's made ,so that for that reason Lincolns in the first batch flew off the shelves and all would have been sold in 1905.

A very early Lincoln!!

ATB

Lakey

bsa low numbers

Hi, Lakey. many thanks for the info. l also have the prototype one, that was featured in airguner last month which shoots very well regards, Micky

.22 bsa

I do have a BSA in .22 serial no. S319

1st Batch H Lincoln Serial no. 772

I have a 1st batch H Lincoln Serial No. 772 in good working condition and only 1 previous owner - my grandfather who was in the Fife & Forfar Yeomanry - my grandmother taught me to shoot with it in her garden when I was about nine years old - it was professionally resprung in the mid 1960's which felt like it increased the power - it has one half of the head of the trigger axis screw broken off and a pair of lines of what look like vice jaw marks on the left and right sides of the barrel - otherwise excellent condition. I treated it with no special care - only realising recently how historic an item it actually is.

No 1 bore .177 - Standard Pattern - Straight-hand Stock length 14 1/4" Length of Rifle 43 1/2" original open sights.

Update February 2018

Using parts from Knibbs International - I have resprung, rewashered and replaced the trigger pivot bolt that had a split head, I honed out the worst of the vice marks and have re-blued and cleaned and re-french polished the stock - sighted in its shooting nicely.

Q A question remains - on fitting and working in new washer - the Knibbs supplied leather washer comes with a flat head bolt and a dished metal washer - the original leather washer (or rather the one fitted in the sixties when I was about nine years old after breaking the first spring) was fragged and pieces were coming down the barrel only had the bolt straight into the inner leather washer - with the new, on first fiting their was quite a clang on discharge as the bolt was hitting the end of the chamber on firing - I honed back the end of the bolt so it seated a little deeper at full insertion and honed the head a little - it took the severity out of the 'clang' but there is still a little residual metal to metal 'ring' on firing. Is this intended or should I hone until I'm only hearing a leather washer thud at the end of travel?

The washer is also slightly deforming to show a protuberance to match the pressure hole into the breach which also shows metal to metal contact.

Any thoughts I cannot see reference to this as a setting issue in any of the original or contemporary documentation or comments.
    Last edited by TimMartin; 23-02-2018 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Update and Advice sought ...

I have acquired one today. Serial number 9073. Cracking condition. Lots of engraving on it by Don Blocksidge I am told. Reblued by Colin Malloy. It's a real stunner.
    Last edited by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH; 18-02-2017 at 08:27 PM.

HTML Code:
    redvan 

Just out of interest chaps what do these venerable old guns shoot like? how do they compare in the power / accuracy stakes to todays springers?

Thanks in advance.

Surprisingly well, it seems. My newly acquired 1922 Standard fires at 11.2 - 11.3ft/lbs using three varieties of pellets and easily obtains 1/4 inch groups at 12 yards. Further than that, I have yet to discover although open sights cannot beat a telescope and it becomes progressively difficult at greater distances. One or two of these rifles were specially adapted to carry scopes - probably adapted by the owners at some stage in their lives.

The BSA Vintage Collectors' forum is a hive of information and you will find all you want to know on it. I knew nothing of its existence until I joined this forum some six weeks ago and am enormously indebted to all the good people here, who have imparted a huge amount of information to someone with limited knowledge at the time. These people are the current custodians of a magnificent heritage.

Rgds
    Andrew.

I have what I think is a first batch BSA number 1569, in reasonable condition. I replaced the spring with an Airsporter one, (slightly shortened), and re-did the leather washer with neatsfoot oil, it is a .177 and is running at. 9.5ft.lbs, and it's quite accurate with Superdomes, and a joy to shoot. Not bad for 110yrs old!
    BSA First batch, Breakdown, Cadet major, Meteors, Mercurys, Airsporters, Supersport, Superstar, Lightning XL, HW80, Logun S16 mk1, Webley Junior rifle, Relum Tornado, Webley mk1 pistol, ASI Centre pistol, Crosman Medalist 1322.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    I have acquired one today. Serial number 9073. Cracking condition. Lots of engraving on it by Don Blocksidge I am told. Reblued by Colin Malloy. It's a real stunner.
    any pics forthcoming? I'm intrigued to see the engraving

Quote Originally Posted by BTC1 View Post
    I have what I think is a first batch BSA number 1569, in reasonable condition. I replaced the spring with an Airsporter one, (slightly shortened), and re-did the leather washer with neatsfoot oil, it is a .177 and is running at. 9.5ft.lbs, and it's quite accurate with Superdomes, and a joy to shoot. Not bad for 110yrs old!
    for reference,i have 1669.still nice and smooth + working well.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Wow there's a find
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Wow there's a find

Gone a bit quiet now, The previous owner of this one has No ''7''