Thread: Can I shoot my air rifle in my garden

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've always wondered about the 50 ft rule.

I plink in my garage on ocassion, with air pistols. Its within 50 ft of the road, but obviously no one in the right mind could be endangered, interrupted or alarmed. (the garage door is shut)

I think the same must go for back garden shooting. Is it even possible that someone on the pavement at the front of your house could be "alarmed" by you shooting in your back garden? Even Walter the Softie ought to be OK.

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    I've always wondered about the 50 ft rule.

I plink in my garage on ocassion, with air pistols. Its within 50 ft of the road, but obviously no one in the right mind could be endangered, interrupted or alarmed. (the garage door is shut)

I think the same must go for back garden shooting. Is it even possible that someone on the pavement at the front of your house could be "alarmed" by you shooting in your back garden? Even Walter the Softie ought to be OK.
    According to some experts which includes certain ex celebrity television stuffed rabbits , the 50 ft rule only applies to vehicular roads and not paths, towpaths, bridleways, snickets etc and only if Joe public feels endangered and complains. This maybe the case, dependent on what interpretation of the rules and what website publishes their interpretation, however, my simple rule is stay ensure that you are 50ft away from any public access area where Mr, Mrs or Miss Public would feel endangered.

Oh, and what a man does in the privacy of his garage behind locked doors is none of our business
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

Sorry, maybe I was a bit dismisive of the 50ft rule but people often post on here about it and only refer to the distance without mentioning the rest of the rule. That can mislead and could mean people missing out on being able to shoot in their garden.

There's enough restriction in this country without our adding imaginary constraints to it.

The important bit of the rule is:

The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident

If you can avoid causing injury, endagerment or alarm to people on the highway you're less than 50 ft from then you should shoot.