Thread: diana model 74

diana model 74

seeing as its diana day today i was wondering if i could delve into the deep pool of knowledge that you peeps have and if you could answer my questions.....

my question=- i have a Diana series 70 model 74.... ive been given it by my gran and told that my uncle had it and know that he used to use it as a boy.... but thats it....

could anyone enlighten my to as more about these funny little guns???

cheers in advance

paul

link for piccie=-
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...99673522gZTbWl
    Last edited by dunn220; 04-04-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: piccy added

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by dunn220 View Post
    i have a Diana series 70 model 74.... ive been given it by my gran and told that my uncle had it and know that he used to use it as a boy ... but thats it ... could anyone enlighten me more about these funny little guns???

cheers in advance

paul
    Ha ha... Diana Day: like it . The Milbro Diana series 70 model 74 you have was manufactured in Motherwell, Scotland, throught the 1970s, and a slightly modified version was manufactured again by the Millard Brothers from 1980 until the end of all production in 1982, and was called the model 75. Both the 74 & 75 had a .177 brass lined smooth bore barrel. Based originally on a the Milbro Diana model 16, when the model 74 was first launched in 1970, it was simply stamped 'SERIES 70' on the chamber, but later models were stamped SERIES 70 MODEL 74 MADE IN Gt.BRITAIN (hope this helps ). ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

cheers gareth wb.....

it has the "made in great britain" mark on it and i can see a 172 on the butt, would i be right in thinking that this means its a '72 model.....

still goes alright too just shot some pellets out....... no accuracy though..... got a nice little slip for it too..... so its a milbro then.......
    got more power than a co2 pistol though

got to be great for the sheer novelty value........

thanks for your reply

Paul

Diana day.... cor i astound myself with my sheer intellectual prowess sometimes.....

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by dunn220 View Post
    cheers gareth ... i can see a 172 on the butt, would i be right in thinking that this means its a '72 model

Paul

Diana day ... cor i astound myself with my sheer intellectual prowess sometimes ...
    Hi Paul, yes mate, probably as many believe this stamp equates to the year of manufacture as in most examples on most Milbro models said numbers do seem to correlate to the known year of manufacture in some way. As some examples of numbers found on some rifles are way off known years of production however, this may not be the case at all -- or the stamper guy had a wicked sence of humour which came to the fore from time to time . Last little gem of info for you here then, if your rifle was sold in 1972, its rrp was £14.25. Terrah : Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 04-04-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: to ad the 1972 rrp.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

It's a shame that all manufacturers didn't take a leaf from Diana / Original's book and stamp the manufacturing date somewhere on the action. It would be a boon for collectors.

On the other hand, I suppose part of the joy of acquiring an old rifle or pistol is the research to find out what you can about them.