Thread: First Air Rifle

gunz is offline if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns

First Air Rifle

Can anyone help with the following, Does anyone know what the first air rifle ever made was. how difficult they are to come by and what would be a reasonable price to pay for one would be?
    Gunz

Quote Originally Posted by gunz View Post
    Can anyone help with the following, Does anyone know what the first air rifle ever made was. how difficult they are to come by and what would be a reasonable price to pay for one would be?
    i believe the 1st airguns were ball reservoir ''sniper'' air rifle made in the 1700's and they are worth a fair bit of money as they are pretty rare as the reservoirs weren't pressure tested and the user was more at risk than the intended target due to exploding reservoirs.

gunz is offline if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns

wow

I assumed it was about the 1930's, im gobsmacked.
    Gunz

Try a Google search for Girandoni. Not that they were the first.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    First ones made in any number that I know of were the Bate of London ball reservior rifle (1770s), the Ryan & Weston ball reservior (1780s), and the Girandoni (1780s) . What is more, these were all p.c.p air rifles and the Girandoni was a twin-shot shuttle system repeater like the two-shot Webley Raider and the Venom Viper! Further, forget .25 as being big as some of these rifles fired 12.8mm (half inch) diameter lead balls at around 200 ft.lb according to the bods at the Havant museum in Hampshire , and many were made as sniper rifles. Price-wise though, according to those who know, don't expect to get much change from £10,000 if (not when) one of these comes up at auction ... Or alternatively, get yourself something like a Lamgham Gem (available in .177, .22, and .25) from the late 1800s for around the £100 mark . History lesson over, I'm off for a Bank Holiday shoot. Terrah: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 09-04-2007 at 09:50 AM. Reason: to ad the bit about 1/2" lead ball shot.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

From about 1590

Mainly for kings and very important, wealthy people.
    Had around 10 altogether. Ball res, Butt res and two or three cased examples.
    The earliest one I've still got dates from around 1720 and is in full working original condition. Pics from --redairuk@terra.es---or--redairuk@gmail.com
    Richard