Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Omega .177

Omega

Well,
    I cant really add much to this thread as I have been a devoted fan of German springers for many years now, however, that said, IF I could re-wind the clock back to its launch THIS rifle would have been the only British springer that I would REMOTELY have contemplated buying.

My first full power springer was a MK1 Vulcan (which I still have and am still fond of), and the Omega seems to be to have embodied many of the Vulcan's qualities but with (as has been said) an adjustable and lockable breach jaw. A barrel lock- reminiscent of the Anschutz. A stock that I think Jim Tyler quoted was equal to the FWB Sport (or at least getting towards it).

Yep, I wish I had had the money back then to have bought one. One thing that I have wondered (but suspect I know) is if, on this refile, Webley departed from the usual calibre barrels that favoured the British 5.6mm Wasp etc to the slightly tighter European 5.5mm that had a far wider range of suitable ammo? My gut instinct that it DID. Would I be right? Cant recall unless I dig out some old mags etc?

Lets not forget this rifle was brought out just a few years ago now and it's still a classic. But should it have done better for Webley??

Dave

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    tomahawk is better
    On ticket/F.A.C. maybe/possibly (the jury is still out ), but standard with its long stroke shooting sub 12ft.lb? Nope . and ...

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    But still not as good as the Longbow!!!
    Sorry matey, yes it is, IMHO miles better. Have had two Longbows (both walnut, one in .177, and one in .22), and setting the trigger on them was an absolute pig of a job ... Even when I got them going as good as I felt I could, neither were ever quite right for me, so I moved them on to buy an S.F.S. tuned HW95K in .22 (wonerful rifle with a wonderful trigger), and the Webley Omega carbine .177 that motivated me in to start this thread). My Omega trigger is not as good as the Rekord triger on my HW95 however, but as Ian (I.J.) says above, it is equally as good, and possibly better, than the one on the HW35 of the era/day . Off now to look at the FOR SALE section to see if there is anything nice there that I can't afford :. Finally, thanks for your vote jonnyone, I hear what you say . ATB GWB.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back

Thumbs up

I WLL SECOND AND THIRD THE COMMENTS REGARDING THE OMEGA!a fine rifle and many a fond memory would love to shoot one again some day.had a lot of sport with mine, a brilliant gun

I have, in the past, compared the Anschutz 335s sliding barrel catch with that on the Omega. I have also noticed how similar the barrel shim arrangement appears.
    In the last years Wallis & Wallis auction (Weds. 14th June) of the Webley Museum Collection, item 1238 was an Anschutz model 335.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I have, in the past, compared the Anschutz 335s sliding barrel catch with that on the Omega. I have also noticed how similar the barrel shim arrangement appears ... In last years Wallis & Wallis auction (Wed 14th June) of the Webley Museum Collection, item 1238 was an Anschutz model 335.
    The cunning little devils . Wonder what else they cribbed? There was also an HW77 in the auction, pity they didn’t crib the trigger off that too eh ? But who cares (cared ) if they borrowed an Idea or two so long as the factory continued to produced well made and well priced middle-budget good bits of kit ? Hope the guy who allegedly (got to say allegedly for legal reasons) embezzled the Webley & Scott pension fund -- thus forcing the official receiver to come in and liquidate the company’s assets -- turns in his grave (when the time comes ). Anyway, ATB and thanks to all who have contributed to this thread : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    The cunning little devils . Wonder what else they cribbed? There was also an HW77 in the auction, pity they didn’t crib the trigger off that too eh ? Gareth W-B.
    Air Arms got there first!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    The cunning little devils . Wonder what else they cribbed? There was also an HW77 in the auction, pity they didn’t crib the trigger off that too eh ?
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Air Arms got there first!
    Ha ha ha ha ... So very very true. ATB M8 and Cheers for everything .

Add my bit. I want an Omega in .177 but no one wants to sell me one

Hw 35 in its day was great --- a great big heavy lump if you were a boy. If you could not lift it then who cared if the trigger was the biz!!! My favourite gun is the FWB Sport which is the right weight for a field gun and comes up to the aim as a rifle should. The trigger is fine for the job.

In the Omega Webley nearly made the perfect rifle of its day by taking the best ideas from nearly everbody, even themselves. FWB Sport stock; Anschutz barrel lock; Vulcan piston system; Walther??? barrel. (Webley barrels are not the best ask Theoben). If they had have done walnut and a record trigger they would have blown the Germans away. Did they go bust again?? The Omega was great too but the WH77 was better. WH80 and the WH80 had the trigger and walnut but heavvvvy which is fine on the range but a pig on the hill.

Heavy makes a springer easier to shoot too.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    I wonder how many were made/sold???