Thread: Webley Mk 3

Webley Mk 3

I have just bought yet another gun. It's a Mk3 Webley in .177, complete with a Parker Hale diopter. It is a superb little rifle.

It is also the 4th gun that I have bought from Norton AMC (Mike) and I have been very pleased with each one. He is an excellent man to deal with and I am sure many of you already know that.

I will chronograph the rifle and test its accuracy out at our club range tomorrow but I have a feeling it might just outshoot my early Airsporters.

Webley claim 1.75 inches at 40 yards, has anyone tested this claim?

John

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Yep, I agree. Mike (aka Norton AMC) is a top bloke to deal with ... My .22 MkIII gives me 1/2" groupings with blue tin Eley Wasps (still got two tins left ) @ 10m but have never tried open sights out to 40 as my glasses aren't strong enough . Ha ha. ATB M8 and look forward to your up-date : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post

Webley claim 1.75 inches at 40 yards, has anyone tested this claim?

John
    John,
    I'd be lying if I said that I've seriously tested my MKIII but I'd be surprised if, with the right modern ammo, it couldn't match or even better that claim. I know that when I'm on from with mine it's pretty happy to knock down 45 yard FT ram silhouettes with reasonable regularity despite it only pushing out about 7.5 ft/lbs. I've found that Webley Mosquito Express are pretty good in mine.

Webley MkIII with PH16M
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Webley Mk111

Thanks for the replies fellas
    I also have a .22 Mk111 which I bought because it was in mint condition. However it did not shoot well at all. It dieseled violently, accuracy was obviously terrible and velocity was about 460 ft/sec with 5.6mm Wasps.

I was not content with keeping it preserved in the gun safe so in desperation I fitted a Robb PTFE piston head and the velocity went up to about 500 ft/sec but the rifle was still harsh to shoot and not very accurate.

I then took 4 coils off the spring (a trick that had previously worked on a couple of Airsporters) and 'hey presto' the gun was transformed and velocity went up to 550 ft/sec with Wasps. Not only that, it would also shoot many of the 5.5mm pellets quite well with this weaker spring .

I have tried this rifle at twenty yards and it was pretty good (3/4" groups rested), I will bench test it along with the newly acquired .177 at 40 yards and let you know how the 2 calibres compare

Chris, who makes the Webley Mosquitos?
    Are they manufactured at the JSB factories. I do have some JSB's and Air Arms which I will try out plus some of the heavier R10's

John

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Chris, who makes the Webley Mosquitos? [/B]Are they manufactured at the JSB factories. I do have some JSB's and Air Arms which I will try out plus some of the heavier R10's

John
    John,
    Webley Mosquito Express are rebadged JSB Exact Express. They are very similar to the standard JSB exact with a shorter skirt to drop the weight down to 7.8/7.9 grains.

Chris
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!