Thread: What colour should a cylinder be painted?

eyeballs Guest

What colour should a cylinder be painted?

another complaint from the dive shop where i took my bottle to be filled was that the gas cylinder should be painted at the top with black and white quandrants .
    this is the colours for breathable air which he is selling for divers. he was unhappy that mine was painted green ! i explained that is correct for compressed air but he wasnt having any of it ,it had to be black and white !*** ?
    so should i repaint it in black and white quandrants ? it might make him happy but its not correct .and he was bellyaching about the carriage of dangerous goods etc .....

mines,all white with a breathing air sticker on it,eddie smith fills mine who is a diving instructor and a world renound salvage expert and he has never complained and got all sort,s of coloured bottles he fill,s

Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

Paul Hudson Guest
    According to the EU regulation that came into force last July (EN1089;3) the standard for a pure gas (air) cylinder is a black body with a green shoulder.

Quadrants on the shoulder are more correctly used for "scientific" gas mixtures. Black and white would be nitrogen and oxygen mix (nitrox) - not quite the same a standard compressed air as you can specify the mix.

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/cylinders.html

Paul.
    Last edited by Paul Hudson; 17-04-2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added link.

In the European Union gas cylinders are beginning to be colour coded according to EN 1098-3. The "shoulder" is the top of the cylinder close to the pillar valve. For mixed gases, the colours can be either bands or "quarters".

* Air has either a white (RAL 9010) top and black (RAL 9005) band on the shoulder, or white (RAL 9010) and black (RAL 9005) "quartered" shoulders.
    From above link.
    Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

both of mine, all white...one purchased just a few months ago.

AirArmsDavid Guest
    ...and you don't HAVE to have a car sticker if you're a private individual.

not retrospective

new regs on colours as above

mine has a yellow body with black and white sectors - i think - cant remember!

i cant say i think it matters too much to be honest - as long as its filled with air and not O2 or summit you're ok!

regards amsniper
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, he who does not ask, is a fool forever.

I was just advised to mark the cylinder with "surface use only" which I still haven't done yet as my 7L 300bar tank still hasn't run out yet after 6 months of charging my HW100.
    BEWARE OF THE BEARDS

Mines turqiose with a green shoulder had it bout 6 months. had it recharged twice with no complaints

had mine over a year now - charged it once when i got it - tis still going strong
    saying that i havent used my gun at all over the winter!

may have to have a play tonight!

surface use only is a good idea - means you have a 5 year test rather than 3 i believe. + i dont think the test is as rigorous.
    regards amsniper
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, he who does not ask, is a fool forever.

eyeballs Guest
    Webley tanks are green top , i think this guy was being picky as he runs a dive training setup ,i have to try another ..i have another small 3litres from midland diving which has black and white quadrants ,so there seems to be a mixed bag around.

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!

I wouldn't advise

on re-painting your cylinders.

If they have a few knocks and scrapes, leave them for them to see when filling.

I have been told that some of the older cylinders have a special coating on them and they like to know they haven't been painted over. I think it is zink or something.

It is for strength I believe.
    Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical