Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collectables section is smokin' - thanks mods!

Thumbs up Collectables section is smokin' - thanks mods!

How brilliant is this section?

It's my first port of call these days and is fast becoming one of the most dynamic airgun collectors' forums anywhere on the net. In fact I don't know of any other with the level of thread/post turnover that we have here.

In the few months collectables has been up and running my knowledge of certain types of vintage guns -- especially BSA and Webley -- has been massively increased due to contributions by the amazingly erudite collectors here.

Creating the section has also brought great collectors 'out of the woodwork' so to speak, to share their knowledge with us. Lakey springs to mind as a long term collector who has only now joined the BBS but there are others. It's also given established collectors a 'club' of their own to ramble on about obscure things without fear of boring the general BBS readership or be accused of being nerdy. (You know who you are Ian. )

I get the feeling it's also helped inspire new collectors, which can only be a good thing for the hobby. Anyone thinking of starting a collection has a superb resource at their disposal.

Anyway, this thread is really a big thank you to the mods (Baz in particular) for listening to pleas to create a collector's corner and to everyone who has so far helped to make it such a great section.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

In the few months collectables has been up and running my knowledge of certain types of vintage guns -- especially BSA and Webley -- has been massively increased due to contributions by the amazingly erudite collectors here.
    Oi ! Who you calling a 'ERUDITE'? Don't you think I get enough stick being a 'banjophile' never mind a foreigner.

I have met this 'nerdy' other Ian?

Totally agree with all your other comments though. This is now, by far, my favorite section. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge available on some of the most obscure topics. ANORAKS RULE !

I echo your thanks to the mods.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 18-04-2007 at 09:38 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Could not agree more. It has become my first port of call first every morning whilst waiting for the toast to brown and the kettle to boil. Always interesting, always stimulating and very educational. For guys like me who has only recently rekindled interesting in collecting classic British air guns it is compulsory reading. What a great bunch of contributers and what a great breadth of knowledge there is between you. The bug has bitten, long may it last. Now where's breakfast?
    Classic BSA and Webley rifles and Pistols

When does collecting change from a hobby to an obsession?

It's Baz you have to thank.

I believe his reasoning was 'Let's create a cosy little forum where all the anoraks can assemble and bore each other rigid'.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I believe his reasoning was 'Let's create a cosy little forum where all the anoraks can assemble and bore each other rigid'.
    Wotchit bud or one of our ultra-nerdy collector-hackers will freeze your BBS account in this section. Then the BSA mob will subject you to a 36-hour lecture on design changes made between air rifle models from 1906-73.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Wotchit bud or one of our ultra-nerdy collector-hackers will freeze your BBS account in this section. Then the BSA mob will subject you to a 36-hour lecture on design changes made between air rifle models from 1906-73.

Even that would be preferable to another lecture on the BSF65 from ol' 'Six toes'.

Twixt Dartmoor and Exmoor, Devon (Tiverton way)
    Then the BSA mob will subject you to a 36-hour lecture on design changes made between air rifle models from 1906-73.
    Why let him get away with the abbreviated talk?
    Beware the fury of a patient man... John Dryden (1631 - 1700).

My foxing website: www.foxonic.com

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    You know I kid you not, I logged on just now with the sole intention, of writing an almost exact same post to the one which started this thread off . I am now therefore totally convinced that Garvin is either a psychic or a Warlock, as without exception when ever I have been trying to sell something which for one reason or another has been slow to move, if Garvin then kindly ads a friendly bump, I get an asking price offer within the hour (and twice in under ten minutes ) ... I would suggest that we stone him for dabbling in the black art but hey, while its helping folk sell stuff (and of course buy stuff as it is a two-way street ), best let sleeping dogs lie eh? Ha ha ha . Joking aside tho Ditto everything Garvin has said on this thread and long may our Collectors Corner reign supreme : Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    You know I kid you not, I logged on just now with the sole intention, of writing an almost exact same post to the one which started this thread off . I am now therefore totally convinced that Garvin is either a psychic or a Warlock, as without exception when ever I have been trying to sell something which for one reason or another has been slow to move, if Garvin then kindly ads a friendly bump, I get an asking price offer within the hour (and twice in under ten minutes ) ... I would suggest that we stone him for dabbling in the black art but hey, while its helping folk sell stuff (and of course buy stuff as it is a two-way street ), best let sleeping dogs lie eh? Ha ha ha . Joking aside tho Ditto everything Garvin has said on this thread and long may our Collectors Corner reign supreme : Gareth W-B.
    Nice one Gareth, though less mention of stoning please (we warlocks are not so keen on getting stoned).

PS. Welcome to the too-long-to-list category.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    ANORAKS RULE !
    ATB
    Ian
    is that hw35 anoraks?

It is good, isn`t it?

I`m astounded at the depth of knowledge on show here, and the generosity sharing it around

It's my first port of call these days and is fast becoming one of the most dynamic airgun collectors' forums anywhere on the net. In fact I don't know of any other with the level of thread/post turnover that we have here.

Creating the section has also brought great collectors 'out of the woodwork' so to speak, to share their knowledge with us. Lakey springs to mind as a long term collector who has only now joined the BBS but there are others. It's also given established collectors a 'club' of their own to ramble on about obscure things without fear of boring the general BBS readership or be accused of being nerdy. (You know who you are Ian. )

I get the feeling it's also helped inspire new collectors, which can only be a good thing for the hobby. Anyone thinking of starting a collection has a superb resource at their disposal.

Anyway, this thread is really a big thank you to the mods (Baz in particular) for listening to pleas to create a collector's corner and to everyone who has so far helped to make it such a great section.
    Thanks Garvin for the mention in your opening thread. I echo your words totally. What amazes me is the speed of the 'collectors corner' and the quality of replies. Good to know all these old guns are alive and well

All the best

Lakey

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Personally I love it and hate it in equal measure!
    Wouldn't want to see it gone though.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Even that would be preferable to another lecture on the BSF65 from ol' 'Six toes'.
    You should be so lucky sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    is that hw35 anoraks?
    I'd rather have an anorak than a Kaftan.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Merlyn Guest

holy.....

HOLY S**TE I.J ive just looked at how many rifles you own, now thats taking the PI*S , can you actually move in your house

LOL youre my hero (my wife only lets me have a couple ) LOL

ATB craig