Thread: Anschutz 335 problems

Anschutz 335 problems

I was clearly tempting fate when I put a thread on here in March! I bought the gun from the BBS site and I have been very pleased with it...no complaints.
    Took it to my club a few days ago and found it was shooting all over the place. Chrono'd today and getting 50-100 fps varaition, so something amiss.
    Stripped down this afternoon and it looks in vgc! Piston has been buttoned, spring and guide look fine apart from perhaps an overzealous application of heavy tar!
    washer is leather and also looks in good condition although feels a bit loose in the cylinder. No evidence of scoreing etc. Problem is...I know nothing about leather washers. I have an old tuning guide for an FWB124 which says to soak the washer in silicon oil overnight, squeeze it dry then re install. Presumably it expands?

I do not know whether to clean out, relubricate etc and put back together or perhaps to try a synthetic washer or even a new spring! This is the target model and the spring has 31 coils with little preload. Was shooting at 7.5 ft/lbs and very civilised.One of the chrono readings indicated 9ft/lbs!! Possibly some lubricant has got in front of the washer...I am concerned that if I reinstall the same washer, the same thing will happen.

Answers on a postcard please!

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    Took it to my club a few days ago and found it was shooting all over the place. Chrono'd today and getting 50-100 fps varaition, so something amiss.
    Stripped down this afternoon and it looks in vgc! Piston has been buttoned, spring and guide look fine apart from perhaps an overzealous application of heavy tar!
    washer is leather and also looks in good condition although feels a bit loose in the cylinder. No evidence of scoreing etc. Problem is...I know nothing about leather washers. I have an old tuning guide for an FWB124 which says to soak the washer in silicon oil overnight, squeeze it dry then re install. Presumably it expands?

Mike95
    'Buttoned piston' eh? I think I know a bit about the history of this individual rifle. Mike Y.H.P.M.

Does THIS rifle look familiar?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Anschutz 335S

The original "buttoneer" has contacted me and it seems this Anschutz was a project some 3 years ago. I have searched "leather washer" on the BBS site and found a number of useful references. My washer sits in silicon oil and I have also sent for a ptfe washer. The buttons clearly work very well since there is no sign of metal to metal contact on the piston or the cylinder.

Possibly just run out of grease/fuel?

Mike95

'335

Mike,
    as you have already guessed these rifles are worth the effort. They are lovley and accurate if set up right. Never meant to be huge powerhouses (and may not shoot so sweetly if pushed too far), but I have 2 of these and the first has a cut down Venom spring and a Robb ptfe washer, whilst the second bought not too long ago has a new original manufacturers spring and a Robb washer.

With the second one the cylinder has been cleaned up as it was a tad grotty, as has the piston with solvol autosol. The Robb ptfe washer was then fitted (be careful here to ensure that you assemble the rifle and check the piston to cocking lever clearance to ensure one doesnt strike the other on firing). If it is too close to comfort-then pack under the washer.

Whilst the washer to cylinder fit was good on the first rifle I did, it was less than perfect on the second with the cylinder appearing to be slightly tighter towards the port end. However the rifle is now returning approx 11 ft llbs (.177)and could be increased with a slightly more powerful spring (though with a proportionate increase in harshness of discharge).

Good luck with yours. I think warrior kilt on here has also just undertaken the washer change-over as well. Let me/us know how you get on? By the way, your rifle sounds highly modified already and so it should shoot very sweet afterwards. It may well simply have run out of "fuel" by the way.

Dave
    Last edited by jonnyone; 22-04-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Anschutz 335 S

Thanks for the advice, especially the clearance problem..would not have occurred to me.

Mike95

What's the barrel lock-up like, ie. is the breech sealing properly?
    Mine is the early version with the straight catch, I put in a stronger spring; the later ones have a lever catch.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Anschutz

Mine is later version, positive barrel lock up. The breech seal looks fine but I did not give it the "talcum powder test". Gun now in pieces so something to check when I put it back together.

Mike95