Thread: webley 5.6mm barrels and german .22 pellets

webley 5.6mm barrels and german .22 pellets

Whilst chronographing my newly acquired Webley Tracker after giving it a polish and relube,i tried AA Fields,RWS Superdomes and H&N FTT all put through a .22 sizer to find the best pellet.

What i found out was the opposite to my HW's with the above pellets........Superdomes 8.1ft.lbs.,H&N FTT 9.3ft.lbs and AA Fields 10.5ft.lbs. with a higher FPS.
    Just to make sure the readings weren't particular to the Tracker i tried the same test with a 1980's .22 Webley Vulcan and got the same order of power levels and muzzle velocity

another thing i noticed was that the fps varied greatly with the german lead but was very consistent with the AA Field.

I was wondering the same way about BSA's. I think they may perform better with tighter pellets although I haven't tried it yet.

German pellets are 5.5 mm while British made pellets are 5.6 mm, they simply fit better in British made barrels which are .22 or 5.6 mm.

This goes especially with all the older British airguns; all time favorit stays the Webley Wasp in 5.6 (although very hard to come by overhere in Holland)

Cheers,

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Whilst chronographing my newly acquired Webley Tracker after giving it a polish and relube,i tried AA Fields,RWS Superdomes and H&N FTT all put through a .22 sizer to find the best pellet.

What i found out was the opposite to my HW's with the above pellets........Superdomes 8.1ft.lbs.,H&N FTT 9.3ft.lbs and AA Fields 10.5ft.lbs. with a higher FPS.
    Just to make sure the readings weren't particular to the Tracker i tried the same test with a 1980's .22 Webley Vulcan and got the same order of power levels and muzzle velocity

another thing i noticed was that the fps varied greatly with the german lead but was very consistent with the AA Field.

Hello Ikarma.

I use the RWS Superdomes in my Webley Tracker after testing a lot of different pellets. I found them to be the most accurate ones out of the lot for my particular gun and now use them exclusively for close range ratting.

Have you tested the pellets for accuracy in your tracker? and if so which did you find were most accurate?
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"

Hi

My Air-Arms range of Jackals work best with the RWS range of pellets.

Many many moons ago late 80's. I got my Firepower chrono'd at a gunshop. At first they used 'eley wasps' ( the 'in' pellet at the time ) came out at 10 ft lbs. Then they tried my prefered pellet RWS superdome, that read just under 12ft lb.

HTH
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Greylag View Post
    Hello Ikarma.

Have you tested the pellets for accuracy in your tracker? and if so which did you find were most accurate?
    all roughly the same accuracy,i may try the 5.6mm wasp just on the chance they are better and relatively cheap too.

cheers