Thread: Excellent piece on stock finishing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    looks well

I've done loads of beech stocks and found that if you sand smooth then wet with water it will go rough as the grain in the wood swells... Repeat this process about 5 or 6 times until the stock becomes smooth when wet, then brush clean and apply tru oil... The stock will transform before your eyes... The bonus of an oiled stock is if you get a ding in it you can raise the ding with steam from an iron and sand it back flat!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I've done loads of beech stocks and found that if you sand smooth then wet with water it will go rough as the grain in the wood swells... Repeat this process about 5 or 6 times until the stock becomes smooth when wet, then brush clean and apply tru oil... The stock will transform before your eyes... The bonus of an oiled stock is if you get a ding in it you can raise the ding with steam from an iron and sand it back flat!
    Couple of questions, what grade paper do you use? Also, do you only finish with trust oil?

Thanks

Couple of questions, what grade paper do you use? Also, do you only finish with tru oil?

Thanks

I quite like the tactical look, so I'm tempted to go down the olive green Krylon route.

I am in the process of finishing my Original 45 stock, didn't know about the wetting process though, but the effect so far is fantastic!