Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excellent piece on stock finishing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Excellent piece on stock finishing

Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

Cheers Pete
    Break your backs and crack your oars men! If you wish to prevail.

Great article

Thanks for the link .

digitaldwarf is offline A big boy did it and he ran away!

beach stock staining

any one got any tips on staining a beach stock before oiling ?

money is tight and i would rather spend the money on the action and improve the stock myself

PS: i want the new gun now not the 6 week lead time the manufacturers have quoted
    DONT BEAM ME UP SCOTTY I'M HAVING A CR__.__..._......

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldwarf View Post

money is tight and i would rather spend the money on the action and improve the stock myself

PS: i want the new gun now not the 6 week lead time the manufacturers have quoted
    Beech rarely looks good after staining. I've tried a couple of times with wood dye and alkanet, and they both had to be sanded back to natural. If anyone can come up with a workable solution I'd be very interested.

One option would be to go for something out of the ordinary, like scorching, but it takes balls!

Dave
    If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.....

Beech rarely looks good after staining. I've tried a couple of times with wood dye and alkanet, and they both had to be sanded back to natural.
    This was my experience too: impossible to get an even colour.

Quote Originally Posted by joekid View Post
    i tried water washable felt tips then streaked the felt tip mark/like tiger stripes then smeared them,with a damp sponge , as most trial and error stunts test on planed waste wood first,it did look good though

Joekid

That's the sort of thing I think needs to be done to beech if you want it to look impressive. I tried refininshing a couple of BSAs and a Webley and simply couldn't get the colour right. Did you seal the finish once you figured it?

Johnbaz

Wow, that's one mighty well grained piece of beech you've got there. Beautiful.
    If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.....

dno246s is offline Banned for using the BBS to try to influence the outcome of a grievance with a manufacturer

Hi i could recomend white spirit and bitchuman paint? just buy 500ml of white spirit and take out only 50ml then top up with 50ml of bitchuman paint and shake well ? it was a tip from the master stocker himself Don Robinson and it worked brilliantly on my HW80 with a beach stock.Dino

super shiny stocks,grain high lighting

just use ,t cut for cars=it buffs up fine and hard wearing , save your dosh... ive seen some strip jobs that have applied chemical mixes to end up with a shiny mess, cut the corners, if your going for it just try it on the small pistol cap bit on the grip first,im sure youl be surprised at how easy and long lasting it is.it lifts the grain without having to strip the original colour/which is expensive and hard to renew once stripped

I have heard about cold tea if you don't want to spend any money , never trye'd it my self i have a tin of wood stain i have had for about 20 years , it just keeps going , but always do a test bit first , and i always oil inset of varnish it soaks into the wood and gives a much better sheen .

I use sadolin alot at work and if you thin it down with lots of white spirit it leaves a really nice finish.

use coffee or a teabag then a water based varnish.

high i mix the stain in with the oil ,i use danish oil the wood take the oil stain mix in quickly like a sponge ,in the first coat only then after 24 hours contiue with just oil ,i put about 5 layers on over 5 days hope this helps Cheers ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pick a darker stain then u need mix to the right shade with oil and stain

Not found a better guide than this one... http://sparetimeactivities.net/StockStain.htm its maple so may be different to beech but the results are stunning. It uses Gel Stain though which is the key...and he shows why in the guide.

I was going to copy the AA light hunter green theme on my 97k stock...decided to give this a go now as the results look superb in the guide.

Staining gun stocks

Staining beech stocks is alwys tricky. A crucial point to remember is to totally remove the existing polyurathane finish first. I find scraping to be the most productive way of getting most of it off, followed by a light sanding with 240 grade aluminium oxide paper. CCL Gunstock Stain is the one I use most, diluted 2 parts water to one part stain. Mop on the stain mix to give an even coverage. Let the stock dry thoroughly then gently flat the wood back with 320 grit paper until you have a silky finish. Repeat the coating with the stain, dry and sand with 0000 grade steel wool. Repeat the staing process if you want it darker, alternatively just damp the stock down again then dry and burnish with the wire wool. To finish I use CCL grain sealer - 2 coats then burninsh and finish with your choice of oil.

Good luck - al it takes is patience