Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Excellent piece on stock finishing

Quote Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post

Bearing in mind this gives a water resistant finish, will i still be able to finish it off with a oil coating?

ATVB Jacob
    In answer to the above, once waxed, i very much doubt it!
    Unless you use a wax remover first,which defeats your experiment .
    Atb, Woody.

Hello quick question is it possible the link from the first post no longer works ?
    thanks in advance
    live your life and be happy

thats fantastic,nice job.

useful information thanks!

found this really useful thanks a lot

Are there any rules on wood for stocks or it down to preference?
    Regards John

Hi, i used warm tea and applied it with a washing up sponge! After 10 coats (left to dry in between) it worked well, although a few more coats may have looked better. I then used neutral boot polish, applied four coats and it turned out quite nice for my first attempt.

Sam

Alan 972

Quote Originally Posted by jerry cornelius View Post
    this was my experience too: Impossible to get an even colour.
    thanks for that you have saved me alot of time cheers

Thank you very much!

I amazes me some of the crap people will put on a poor piece of wood in name of finishing.

Beech is an absolute doddle to stain you just need to know what your doing and do it right. Companys havent spent millions developing decent woodstain for people to still be using rubbish like alknet, it was a fantastic woodstain 100years ago now its a throwback.

You can buy amazing quality woodstain that is lightfast (holds its color over time in sunlight) easy to apply and relatively cheap to purchase. You can buy brilliant wood stains from companys like Liebron, Morrells, even Colron is ok at a fix.

Now if you use spirit based stain (based on meths) all you need to do is wipe the Beech stock over with a wet coat of meths this will level the absortion rate on the timber out as the bits that absorb more meths will dilute the stain more and the bits that absorb the meths less will dilute the stain less giving an even appearance.

Next you saturation coat the wood that mean fast wet coats (we normally spray it if we can) meaning you must start with a much lighter colored stain then the final color your trying to achieve if not your stain will make the wood darker than you want it. If you cant spray the stain wipe it on wet with kitchen roll keeping a wet edge that means putting lots on and keep putting it on till the wood will accept no more it helps to have the stock in a cradle so you dont put finger prints all over it.

Now as the stain drys some stain will leech back out of the woods pores, just wipe this off with a clean sheet of kitchen paper eventually you will have a evenly color matt piece of Beech. Allow this to dry for a day or so then your ready to oil or laquer or whatever.

No need for teabags/bootpolish/eye of newt.....

great thanks relly helped

Refinsh Beech stock

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Guitars View Post
    I amazes me some of the crap people will put on a poor piece of wood in name of finishing.

Beech is an absolute doddle to stain you just need to know what your doing and do it right. Companys havent spent millions developing decent woodstain for people to still be using rubbish like alknet, it was a fantastic woodstain 100years ago now its a throwback.

You can buy amazing quality woodstain that is lightfast (holds its color over time in sunlight) easy to apply and relatively cheap to purchase. You can buy brilliant wood stains from companys like Liebron, Morrells, even Colron is ok at a fix.

Now if you use spirit based stain (based on meths) all you need to do is wipe the Beech stock over with a wet coat of meths this will level the absortion rate on the timber out as the bits that absorb more meths will dilute the stain more and the bits that absorb the meths less will dilute the stain less giving an even appearance.

Next you saturation coat the wood that mean fast wet coats (we normally spray it if we can) meaning you must start with a much lighter colored stain then the final color your trying to achieve if not your stain will make the wood darker than you want it. If you cant spray the stain wipe it on wet with kitchen roll keeping a wet edge that means putting lots on and keep putting it on till the wood will accept no more it helps to have the stock in a cradle so you dont put finger prints all over it.

Now as the stain drys some stain will leech back out of the woods pores, just wipe this off with a clean sheet of kitchen paper eventually you will have a evenly color matt piece of Beech. Allow this to dry for a day or so then your ready to oil or laquer or whatever.

No need for teabags/bootpolish/eye of newt.....
    Do I need to Nitromors all old finish off ,and then sand it first till all same colour what about pre stain conditioner any advice welcomed!!

Great article

Great article

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldwarf View Post
    any one got any tips on staining a beach stock before oiling ?

money is tight and i would rather spend the money on the action and improve the stock myself

PS: i want the new gun now not the 6 week lead time the manufacturers have quoted
    I use sadolin alot at work and if you thin it down with lots of white spirit it leaves a really nice finish.

have any of u guys got any tips on painting the stock camofluage