Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .177 Wasps

.177 Wasps

Please can anyone enlighten me as to why these 2 types of Wasps are different?

Thanks very much

Matty

http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/y...30boy/Pellets/
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Please can anyone enlighten me as to why these 2 types of Wasps are different?

Thanks very much

Matty

http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/y...30boy/Pellets/

the original pellets in the metal tin, where excellent good price & quality. The wasps that are produced today are no where near the quality they used to be and as far as I know are not produced by eley as the sold the rights to them
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

Hrm... The 'new' (and rubbish) Wasps I've seen are in metal tins, and do not have 'Eley' printed on the tin anywhere.

I believe Eley couldn't be bothered to make pellets anymore, and sold the trade name 'Wasp'...

Maybe the ones you have are fakes based on the crappy versions!!

Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 29-11-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: more

the old wasp were the best budget pellet money could buy and suited for 5.6mm british airguns and very good in FAC airguns as they were a harder pellet and didn't distort easily.

Spot the difference (in .22 )

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks All

I know about the new Bisley-made "Wasp" rather than "Eley Wasp" pellets and I certainly would not buy these Bisley made pellets

I'm trying to work out what I have purchased in these plastic tubs with an "Eley Wasp" sticker

The quality is truly s**t

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I hope you didn't buy too many

I'm confused

If the pellets I have purchased in black plastic tubs which were advertised and sold as "Proper Eley Wasps" are "Proper" Eley Wasps why are they nothing like the ones I have in a tin with a date stamp which says 4/94 which are super quality.

Does anyone know if real Eley Wasps were actually sold in these black plastic tubs?

Thanks all

Matty
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 29-11-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

edbear2 Guest
    Ummmm......Has anyone looked at the photos?.....The plastic tub has a proper Eley label, with identical address to the early 90's tins.......

I got about 6 of these a couple of years ago from a military sale....The seller had a eggshell style packing case full of maybe 250 tins/tubs, and had got them along with a load of ammo boxes and other kit from a surplus source (he told me).

I had assumed that they may have been made by Eley for the cadet forces because of this, but to be honest, have never opened one....will do this tonight, and compare with some other very late Eley branded pellets I have in screw tins which on examination are pretty rough as well (not wasps....will explain later)

I would not have thought that Bisley would have used Eley packaging personally!

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Ummmm......Has anyone looked at the photos?.....The plastic tub has a proper Eley label, with identical address to the early 90's tins.......

I got about 6 of these a couple of years ago from a military sale....The seller had a eggshell style packing case full of maybe 250 tins/tubs, and had got them along with a load of ammo boxes and other kit from a surplus source (he told me).

I had assumed that they may have been made by Eley for the cadet forces because of this, but to be honest, have never opened one....will do this tonight, and compare with some other very late Eley branded pellets I have in screw tins which on examination are pretty rough as well (not wasps....will explain later)

I would not have thought that Bisley would have used Eley packaging personally!
    I guess if they were fakes the label would be the easiest part to reproduce...
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Just to make sure everyone understands:

I am 100% confident that these pellets were sold in good faith by the seller.

I am just trying to work out exactly what they are and where they might have come from in terms of production.

Cheers all

Matty

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I guess if they were fakes the label would be the easiest part to reproduce...
    I don't think they are!......The label and cut out design is the same as Eley used on their primer tins (often over screen printed Wasp tins)....I think they are Eley branded rather than manufactured pellets...I can't see anyone risking taking on IMI by selling a fake copy....the plastic tubs I have had been sitting in a dusty packing case (wish I had looked more closely now!) sealed for quite a while before the guy bought them at a military disposal sale....I had previously assumed they were produced either after the red tins, or alongside just for large contracts.......I now think they were not even made by Eley / IMI........

I think that near the end of their selling of pellets, Eley used a third party supplier for more than one pellet...as I said earlier, I have several other Eley tins with a large thread similar to the BSA Pylarm .25 tin, and the quality of these is very poor. I will open a couple of the plastic tubs tonight, and dig out the other Eley tins too.

Matty......If yours came off "that auction" site, I contacted the seller to enquire where he got them from when they were first listed, he has quite a few more, and said they were old shop stock.....I am also sure he, as I was when I saw the plastic tubs for the first time, was genuinely sure they were Eley manufacture (as opposed to badged).

Last edited by edbear2; 29-11-2010 at 10:57 AM.

This photo shows the difference very clearly

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...risonWasps.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I will open a couple of the plastic tubs tonight, and dig out the other Eley tins too..
    What would really help, Eddie, would be c/u photos of the pellets side by side. If you set your TZ6 to macro, go 3x zoom, get in as close as it will focus and use a tripod and the timed shutter release, the result is pretty good with mine.

I did that with .22" Eley and non-Eley Wasps, and it really shows up the differences - they're effectively different pellets. The photo is on page 27 of the current (December) Airgun World.