Thread: feinwerkbau sport 127, help with age and value please

feinwerkbau sport 127, help with age and value please

hi chaps , a builder friend of mine found this last week when he was re-roofing a garage, the owner didnt want it , it looks like its been left in the corner for a long time, im interested in it but dont know what to offer, its a bit rusty down the outside of the barrell and outside of the cylinder, its very squeaky when you cock it, so i havent fired it yet, but the trigger feels very crisp when i de-cock it, i want to use it for pigeons at work, i used to have a hw35e about 20 years ago, would this be about the same power?, just bought some proper gun grease but i dont want to do anything to it untill i can work out a price, any ideas on age and value ?, serial number is 37351

thanks in advance,, (sorry about pic, took it with my phone)

Welcome to the BBS. Please fill in your profile by going to User CP top left of your screen.

It looks like a mark 2 with the metal trigger, early '80s. Value of the .22 model in good condition with open sights is probably between about £120 and £150 so if it's got rust that will leave pitting when removed you need to knock some off that valuation. The synthetic piston seal may have crumbled and need replacing. They did get dry with lack of use and disintegrate. Do a search of the archive for instructions on replacing the seal. Seals are cheap to buy on the auction site but you really need a spring compressor to remove them because the mainspring is very long. Power should be a little higher than the HW35 when in full working order.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

thanks garvin

thanks garvin, gives me something to work on, i was going to offer him twenty quid but i think thats takeing the mick, ill make it forty five, it is quite rusty and its got a strange wide angle scope on it !!, cheers,,

Lovely guns. Replacement seals, springs and tuning kits available from Jim Maccari in the states. If you intend to do the work yourself you must use a spring compressor and take care not to snap off the safety catch. Use the search facility as the topic of disassembly and tuning of the fwb sport has been well covered in the past.

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251327.htm

thanks mylof1tz

thanks for the link mylof1tz, still cant actually say the rifle is mine yet, but i have offered him 45 for it and he said hell think about it, took the action out of the stock and now it dosnt squeak, it was the cocking lever rubbing against the slot in the stock!!, seems pretty well lubbed so i did some test shoots into a solid lump of 8x4 timber. pellets penertrated completly ( bisley pest control ) , did five shots at a 10m pistol target a few times and was getting 3 out of the five in a ragged one hole group, the other two were well out, it just may need to be used a bit, or it could be due to the scope , it actually rattles as if theres something loose in there, got rid of the rust on the cylinder but the underside of the barrel is pitted, so all in all , i think itll be a good buy,, i see that jim maccari does two different tune kits for it, one called mongose and the other old skool, anyone used thease and is there any advantage of one over the other??, cheers.

As far as I know one is a sub 12ft-lb kit and the other is a FAC kit??? I've heard people mention that when you order, you have to make it clear that it will be for a UK non-FAC gun (unless you've got a FAC).

I'm sure someone else will clarify it though.....
    Macarri Mongoose FWB Sport 124, Tasco Golden Antler 3-9x40

Quote Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
    As far as I know one is a sub 12ft-lb kit and the other is a FAC kit??? I've heard people mention that when you order, you have to make it clear that it will be for a UK non-FAC gun (unless you've got a FAC).

I'm sure someone else will clarify it though.....
    I think the old school kit is just a shorter spring for ease of fitting and the mongoose kit is longer and doesn't necessarily produce FAC power levels, but might need a coil or two removed to bring it under 12 ft/lbs, depending on the gun.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Fitted an old school kit to my FWB124. It is a shorter spring with a nylon spacer so there is less precompression and stress on the internals. The piston seal is a great improvement over the standard one. Mine shot sub 12ft lbs in .177 without any intervention. Kit works very well and I've been extremely impressed in the accuracy for such a light gun.

As an alternative, I've heard some good reviews on the tune ups that 'Bonnie & Clyde' (member here on BBS does).

Might be worth speaking to him??
    Macarri Mongoose FWB Sport 124, Tasco Golden Antler 3-9x40

And if you feel the need to strip it down, I've done a guide with photos on just this subject here on my website

All the best,
    Nige

didnt get it, ...

cheers for all the info chaps, your guide on your site is great nige52, unfortunatly i saw the builder today and he wants to keep it, , i shouldnt have taken it home and payed with it !!!! but he did say i can have first refusal on it when the time comes, so you never know., thanks again chaps, johny e.